1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Star Wars flick coming to theaters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Although he doesn't realize it, Luke actually does have a memory of Padme: her final words, which he later repeats virtually verbatim: "There is good in him. I know, there is still good in him."

2. Kent_Dorfman

Kent_Dorfman Member

That's the movie they need to make. Why they wasted our time with Phantom Menace, I'll never understand. Dark Lord should have been the third movie of the second trilogy. We missed out on a 'young' Darth Vader kicking ass and taking names.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Star Wars has sucked since George Lucas decided to fuck around with his movies. Episodes one, two and three were dreadfully craptastic. And his "upgrades" to the originals are unspeakable shit.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The prequels were not craptastic. Sith was excellent, the second or third best in the series.

The only one that was truly full of fail was Clones, and that was because Anakin and Padma's dialogue was fucking clunky. Fast forward through their scenes together, and it's better than fucking Jedi with the fucking muppets.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

But . . BUT . . Jar Jar!

I agree with sportschick. Clones was horrid. Spielberg should have been allowed to direct.

6. sportschick

Without Jar Jar (who I hated, for the record), there is no Gollum or that awesome General who LBJ loves in Sith.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

sportschick,

Grievous. We mounted him on a peace dove and used it as a star on our Christmas tree.

Sad, sad, sad.

8. sportschick

Thank you, I was having a very embarrassing brain fart.

Fantastic character though.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Bingo.

Jar Jar was an experiment, "Can we do this? And if not . . .we'd better make him innocuous and comic relief, just in case." I was not a fan, either, but as I have said, it is a tribut to Industrial Light and Magic that we spend more time talking about how annoying he is than we do saying "He looked FAKE!!!!!"

He WAS fake. But the character fit right into the universe Mucas created.

He begat some great innovation. It's hilarious to remember that people frothed over the Matrix (which I enjoyed, yes) because of bullet time. An meanwhile, Mucas and his people were once again changing th fundamental tools available to make films.

A decade after an absolute stinker and insult like Independence Day was held up as this cool sci-fi summer flick, and later as "The movie DVD was made FOR!!!!!!" there has been a great renaissance in fantasy films, as the return of Star Wars showed there was an audience for the quality popcorn flick, and Matrix showed there was an audience for intelligence (if pretentious) fantasy and sci-fi. Even if idiot pundits want to credit success of films like Spider-Man to "Americans needing heroes after 9/11!!!!!"

But I digress.

Anyway, Phantom Menace had some acting comparably mediocre to old-school Star Wars, but had amazing effects that, like the original film, pushed moviemaking way past where it had been. Now, with Indiana Jones coming out also this summer, it bears repeating: Steven Spielberg is a great director and has made some wonderful films. Lucas, first with Star Wars and then with ILM and Pixar, and then with Star Wars again, changed the way movies were made.

Nerdbomb rant over.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You want a spoiler? Here's a spoiler. You will die alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted