1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Springsteen single out tomorrow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Am I missing something, or is "We Take Care of Our Own" not on the album?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

My wife - not a Bruce fan - chuckles every time at the first line "I've been knocking on the door that holds the throne".

"Oh, so he has to use the bathroom?"

Uh . . . . I really have no answer.

Overall, musically it sounds like a mashup of Bruce from a decade ago, and from two decades ago. Except done by Weird Al, or someone else just imitating Bruce. Lyrical cliches, inoffensive music.

But it's already better than most of the last release.

Come on!

Wasting time with playing Proud Mary in Los Angeles was so, so awesome! And when they did Rockin' Robin in Chicago?

Who would rather hear Racing in the Street? Or Pink Cadillac? Only the Heathens.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I guess Bruce couldn't find anything that rhymes with Galveston.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yes, if that makes me a philistine so be it. The E Streeters are among the world's great cover bands and in the old days it was great to hear something like "Quarter To three" or "High School Confidential" tossed in the middle of a set but those covers didn't come at the expense of Bruce's considerable catalogue. Besides, they'll never do "Proud Mary" as well as CCR - or Tina Turner - or "Rockin' Robin" as well as Bobby Day.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I thought Magic sounded great. He seemed to be engaged by that album. And then Working On A Dream was pure dreck. This single doesn't have me hopeful for a return to form.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"I've been knocking on the door that holds the throne

This is a nod to Elvis and a message that the optimistic feeling of his time is not coming back.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%. "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" came over the iPod dock last week during a brutally cold day here and I thought, "Man, that is a great fucking song." "Radio Nowhere" still sounds great cranked up, I still love to listen to stuff like "Long Walk Home", "Your Own Worst Enemy" and "Gypsy Biker".

Despite what Rolling Stone thought about it (five stars, yeah, right), Working On A Dream is as forgettable an album as he has ever made IMO.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In the old days I used to be inspired by Bruce's optimistic lyrics and tone. Now his words just bum me out. I've moved on to Flo Rida:

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, sometimes I get a good feeling, yeah
    I get a feeling that I never never KNEW,...........

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sigh. I always get excited for a new Springsteen record, and then it comes out... and I'm reminded that I haven't actually liked an album he's done in the last 25 years. I need to just accept that the fastball is gone.

The song is just so bland to me. The lyrics are weak, the music is generic, the delivery is muted and kind of lifeless.

I think it says a lot that he put out "The Promise," an album of stuff deemed too weak to release in the 70s, and to me it was head and shoulders better than anything he's done since "Tunnel of Love."

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Been listening a lot lately to Tracks and there are some astoundingly awesome songs - not good enough to see the light of day then - over those four CDs that are light years ahead of anything he has released since Tunnel of Love.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I have to go to Sam Goody and get one.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted