1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Springsteen single out tomorrow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself.

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Please explain how Bruce and/or Jon Landau is a "master opportunist/manipulator"? People are so eager to buy his new albums they line up outside record stores at midnight. His concerts often sell out in minutes. I don't think anyone has to be "manipulated" into buying any of what he's selling.

3. Magic In The Night

Just heard the new single. Awesome. He takes a slap at how we haven't been taking care of our own, even getting in a little dig about the abominable reaction to Hurricane Katrina. Cannot wait for the rest of the album!

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack, but on a related note, I received a "Born to Run" CD for Christmas. I never had bought this CD before and had not really listened to it since putting my records away about 15-20 years ago. It is truly an outstanding effort, I think his best, poor recording or not (wasn't it not recorded in stereo, or something like that?).

I saw him in Oct., 1974, at the old gym at UVa and that night he played almost every track from an album they were recording he said had a working title of "Jungleland." And I remember how stoked we were when it finally was released.

5. Starman

Here we go.

The title lettering looks like Woody Guthrie's "This Machine Kills Fascists" sticker.
    The only ESB member prominently audible is Steve Van Zandt (and this song has a strong ring of a lot of his Little Steven songs, to the point I wonder if he might get co-author credit)

6. Starman

Album cover:

[​IMG]

Tracklist:

"Easy Money"
    "Shackled and Drawn"
    "Jack of All Trades"
    "Death to My Hometown"
    "This Depression"
    "Wrecking Ball"
    "You've Got It"
    "Rocky Ground"
    "Land of Hope and Dreams"
    "We Are Alive"
    "Swallowed Up" (bonus track)
    "American Land" (bonus track)

7. Magic In The Night

From the shotgun shack to the Superdome. They're ain't no help. The cavalry's stayed home.

Ouch, Mr. Bush.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Those lyrics overall blow.

9. Starman

Although it's also to be noted he's had three years to change the opening line, and didn't.

Congratulations, you're hired as the official Fox & Friends Rock Critic.

In four words you've summed up the right-wing shriekosphere's entire critical reaction.

I'm sure one-liners about millionaire horse farms will be prominently featured as well.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Is this new Springsteen LP a tribute to the classic Emmylou Harris album which was titled for her cover of a Neil Young song?

[​IMG]

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Looking forward to the album and tour.

Can't say this song significantly increases my excitement. But that's after only two listens.

Not sure I care to hear Bruce bitch about things he already had the chance to bitch about. Wonder if this will be an honest take about the current state of the USA, or if he'll again milk the easiest cheer in show business - yelling "Bush sucks!"

Seriously?

Yay, Bruce. It's now 2012. Your guy is in the White House. Has been for a while.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted