1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Springsteen single out today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Nov 25, 2013.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Agreed, there's something subtly poignant about it. Black & white, everyone moving slow and carefully with a sense of caution and vulnerability. You watch it and you remember who's not there. The song, ehh, Webster nails it. It's comfort food.

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

actually heard it in my car tonight, and I found listening to it while driving More pleasing than listening to a while sitting in front of the computer.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think the song is about the process of writing his autobiography.

Other than that, it really doesn't go anywhere. Also, it ends kinda abruptly and arbitrarily.

The video evokes the country farmer in wintertime, looking out over the frozen fields. But the song really isn't about that.

Hopefully there are a couple real stompers on the album, but it isn't 1978 any more.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Watched about half of the Letter to You documentary which was released a day early today. It was great to see the band back together and the interplay between the members.

5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I know I'm a Springsteen hack, but after three listens, I think this is the best E Street record since at least "Magic". (Note: I thought "Western Stars was brilliant. I love that album.)

I liked "Wrecking Ball" fine, and only liked selections from WOAD and "High Hopes". This is different.

"Janey Needs a Shooter" and "If I was the Priest" may be 50 years old, but my my God, they would fit on "Darkness". "Ghosts," "Last Man Standing" and "I'll See You in my Dreams" are immense. I need "Ghosts" on a tour, live in a stadium. Need it.

Lyrically, the record isn't his best. But the band? The sound? The Professor and Mighty Max?

It's a triumph.

6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

The thing I want to experience most after Covid - besides seeing Luka play live - is to see Springsteen and the E Street Band one more time.

And, for every song that would be special to see and hear again (I need "Thunder Road" one more time, please), I think the song I want to hear most in that setting is one of his newest.

Need some Boss Time.

"I'm ALLLLIIIIIIIVVVVVVVEEEEEEE..."

Webster likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I hope I get to see him again. Sooner the better. That's the kind of tour that might well hit Atlanta but not Birmingham, so I'd also have to deal with getting a very tough ticket in a bigger city with more fans.

If you can access the "No Nukes" movie, Bruce does "The River", "Thunder Road" and the "Quarter to Three" medley. It's kind of obscure, easy to have missed or forgotten. Also lots of well intended anti-nuke blather, CSN, Doobies, James Taylor/Carly Simon, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne. It's prime film of E Street at full strength, good stuff. Came out before "The River" was released and that track just floored me.

"Then I got Mary pregnant,
    and man that was all she wrote.
    And for my nineteeth birthday I got
    a union card and a wedding coat.

We went down to the courthouse
    and the judge put it all to rest.
    No wedding day smiles, no walk down the aisle,
    no flowers, no wedding dress."

8. Webster

I saw Bruce in Atlanta on the recent tour where he did The River. A buddy who is also a huge fan was at a conference there and had a hotel from not far from the arena. So that Thursday morning, we decided to go. Got standing room tickets on the floor, booked an early afternoon flight down from LGA, had drinks with an old friend and hit the concert. Drinks, Uber to the Waffle House, 2 hours of sleep, 6:00 flight and was at my desk in Manhattan by 9:30.

Mngwa likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

First time I saw Bruce live was on the River tour. I'd heard the albums, liked them, had long heard about his live show but had not gotten there. Then I saw the No Nukes movie and the heathen was converted. When The River came to Houston I had a pretty good ticket for the first night's show. After I saw that, I went again the next night. Since I went alone I only needed a single seat and wound up closer than the night before. I was very glad I did, because that night he played "Wreck on the Highway", which he had not the night before. He did it solo, just walked out and sat on the front edge of the stage with an acoustic and hit us right between the eyes. Fabulous moment, worth the ticket all by itself.

Mngwa likes this.
  10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

The River was my first Springsteen concert, too. I had long loved his music. Blew me away. Then I saw him on Broadway. Fabulous

Webster and Neutral Corner like this.
  11. Webster

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted