1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Springsteen single out today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by UNCGrad, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I saw this yesterday and thought it was cool -- a supercut of Thunder Road over the years.

EStreetJoe likes this.
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Saw something like this was all the different version of "Statesboro Blues" the Allman Brothers have played over the years....

Speaking of "Thunder Road", just finished "Runaway Dream: Born to Run and Bruce Springsteen's American Vision", definitely worth a look for the hardcore fans our there. Actually had the album on as I read, helps make sense of a lot of the themes.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I just wish he had included part of this video as well.
    An early version of Thunder Road with an extra verse and different lyrics.

4. Webster

Bringing this thread back up for a nice one from the shows in Perth.

First time he has played Blood Brothers since the 2008 concert after Danny's death and the first acoustic performance. It's only the fifth time in concert -- a Sony show for Greatest Hits, the Reunion/Rising last song (with the inferior changed last verse) and the concert after Danny's death.

As much as I like This Hard Land, this is the superior song on the same theme.

5. Webster

The Springsteen on Broadway 8 week run was officially announced today. Even though Ticketmaster is using some new Verified Fan technology, I assume that this will be a scalper shitshow of epic proportions.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Since you need to enter the code you get from the Verified Fan messages before you can buy tickets it cuts down on the bots the scalpers can use to grab up the tickets. Besides with ticket prices at $75, $250 and $850, I'm not sure how much of a mark-up the scalpers are going to be able to get for the prime seats on a weeknight show, especially when it's 5 shows a week for 8 weeks and very likely the same performance every night (story-telling, a handful of songs - I'm guessing 12 or so) in a two-hour show.

On the Bruce boards, one of the running jokes is "who's the understudy going to be?"

8. Webster

I don't think the $850 seats will have that much of a markup but I think the other two price points will. Part of that is my cynicism that the scalpers are one step ahead of the systems meant to stop them.

9. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Computer bots. Wow. That makes me feel old.

Back almost three decades ago, I worked for a ticket broker in a large metropolitan area. Nearly without exception, our best stock came straight on the day of sale from folks who worked at and ran Ticketmaster and/or Ticketron outlets. Nothing was ever said out loud by management. But you kind of got the impression that it was a business where everyone had their hand out.

I bet the same sort of deal is still going on - albeit a little modified - but with those pesky computer nerds as fall guys.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Happy 69th, Bruce.

For some reason, I can’t forget the Boss’ birthday.

(And yes, it is 9/23 where I am.)

11. Webster

My long time girlfriend was born on September 23rd and said that I only remembered her birthday because it was the same day as Bruce's.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I hope he puts a wrap on the Broadway show, or revamps it.

The idea was interesting in the first place, but to me it's a real dead-end artistically.

I understand at 69 or 70 the band probably doesn't want to do 200 dates in 160 cities anymore, but i think you could do mini-residencies in fewer cities -- stands of 4-6 shows at a time.

Draft saved Draft deleted