1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Sports writer would like advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kuballer2369, Jan 24, 2010.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

kuballer--
    Congrats on getting this opportunity. Keep showing the determination that earned you this chance, and you'll be fine. Just don't let it go to your head.
    There has been plenty of great advice in this thread. I'll add that some more tips were in this recent thread:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/75245/

Read both threads, and you should have plenty of solid advice to sift through. Good luck! :)

2. Good luck, KU. Lots of good advice here, and I'm glad to see you're coming back and taking it all in.

Here's my two cents: Write what you know. Don't write what you don't know. It sucks to leave loose ends, but it sucks even worse to assume something and remember at 2 a.m. that you didn't check it out.

Also, you will mess up sometime. You will get names and stats wrong. You will write dreck that you see the next day and say, "What the heck was I thinking?" It will happen, whether it's your fault or not. Don't let it get you down. It stings, but learning from mistakes is the best way to become a better reporter.

3. partain

partain Member

Don't argue with the veteran copy editor (assuming your paper still has one) on deadline. No he wasn't at the game, but he's been on the desk for 20 years and he's right.

I will note however, that when I did this as a high-school senior covering high school sports for a 20,000-circ daily, it was the SECOND game I'd covered for the paper.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I've been covering high school and college hoops for 5 years now, and most of what I've learned has already been said.

yes, the lede does come to you. Write down the final score at the end. Double-check spelling of names and schools. Stay away from play-by-play. Think as the reader: What do I want to know from that game? Why was it important, and what does it mean?

For the record, I use a HS basketball scorebook and I find it very easy. I also use a notepad to write down key moments, plays, details, et cetera.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hell, I've been in this racket for nearly 30 years (including 10 years on the dark side, er, news side) and I find threads like this helpful. There will be times when you have to play-by-play in the story (I find I have to on Fridays, when I have to turn around and pound out pages), and although it's been said, many times, many ways, if you can start getting away from it, do it. Maybe one kid had a ton of rebounds, or a lot of steals, or put the handcuffs defensively on the other team's big shooter. Then the routine gamer could become a mini-feature on this kid. It may take you a while to get comfortable with just a basic gamer, but if your instincts say go another way, give it a try.

I use a score sheet that allows me to keep play-by-play, a box (with attempts and misses), rebounds and fouls. I check my box the book at halftime and again at the end of the game. After all, it's official, not me (something I really learn when covering baseball and softball, when stories I though were about 1-hitters suddenly turn into no-hitters!). I usually try to keep a tally of turnovers and blocks, but some teams will have an assistant coach keep boards, to's and blocks and are happy to share the wealth.

6. kuballer2369

kuballer2369 New Member

Alright guys today is the day. I can't thank you guys enough for all the helpful advice. I typed up a cheat sheet with the best advice from this thread and I'm going to use it tonight at the game. I feel a lot more confident going into the game now and my nerves have calmed (a little). I'll be sure to check back in tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it goes!

THANKS AGAIN!

7. kuballer2369

kuballer2369 New Member

Here's how my first time covering a game:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/75793/

Thanks again guys!

8. bob

bob Member

Hey, Ku. That's really well-written. Nice job. Of course, there are always things to point out. On second reference to a coach, don't call him Coach Hugh. Just use the last name. I've always believed that when you write numbers, 1-9 are spelled out, 10 and up and numerical. I could be wrong about that.
    Overall, I think this story did concentrate on play-by-play a little more than I'd like, but I also think it wasn't dry and boring as so many play-by-plays are.
    I'd have to say that's an impressive first effort. In fact, very impressive.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Correct. But ages, sports handicaps and military units are always a number. [/doesn'tevenneedtoopentheAPstylebookanymore,sadly]

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So is 3-of-10 shooting, 4-for-12 from the foul line, etc.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

ku, great first effort. You have a ton of grammatical mistakes in there, take a close look at the edited version to see what you did wrong. (Unless that IS the edited version, then we need to talk to your boss!).

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Very solid first effort, ku. Remember some of the corrections made here and by your editor, you'll be good to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted