1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Sports Wire Service?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BMuddMan, Mar 1, 2009.

1. BMuddMan

BMuddMan Member

Our place got a pitch from a company looking to launch a new sports content distribution company that promises to create and develop more web-related material rather than simply written copy ala AP, which I realize does audio and video as well. Also will create localized E-zine, which looks a lot like The Sporting News Today deal. Anyone know more and also what is the status of CNN launching its news service that I thought I remembered included sports content? We're slashing costs (duh) and the boss is toying with cheaper alternatives...

2. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

You can't just get rid of AP totally, right? I thought you had to give notice.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

2 years notice, i believe

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My hat's off to any new sports content distribution company with that kind of ambition (please, hire some of our friends), but I wouldn't want to be one of the first subscribers. Show some staying power first. These cheaper alternatives to AP can't possibly be better or even comparable, can they??

5. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Any more info about this venture? Name? Location?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Whatever it is, I bet it's better than The Sports Network.

Draft saved Draft deleted