1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New sports site by former Sac Bee sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bill_Bradley, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Bill_Bradley

Bill_Bradley Member

Hi everyone,

You may remember me as Bill Bradley, the former Sports Editor at the Sacramento Bee.
    I'm trying my "Plan B" and am now Bill Bradley, the publisher/writer at www.27x7.com.

The new Website will offer opinion on sports topics of interest to Sacramento and Northern California readers. It's called 27x7 because down the road I want to enlist experienced sports journalists in 26 other markets. After all, aren't there are more than enough of us who have lost our jobs?

It's not trying to be ESPN (I'm not the WWL) and it's not going to be a fan blog. We do hope to be a home of good sports opinions from people who know the ins and outs of their markets. For now, I'm going to try this in Sacramento in the same style as the daily "Leading Off" column I used to write for the Bee.
    Here's the link: www.27x7.com ... As they say here: "Release the hounds."

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bill, I'll be watching closely because, as most know, I tried to do something similar with Virginia Sports Now.

If I had a major backer, I could have given it more time and made it work. I remain convinced (despite evidence to the contrary).

At only 20 bucks a year, I figured I'd get enough subscribers to maybe make it work without a backer.

I did not. I'm fortunate to have found a great situation but I'll always wonder if it could have worked.

In short, I'm pulling for you.

3. Bill_Bradley

Bill_Bradley Member

Thanks, Moddy. I'm hoping to do it with the clicks from ads. We'll give a shot to see if it works. If not, I'll to get a real job.

And, like Moddy knows, you can "like" the 27x7 page at Facebook (27x7) and the Twitter feed (www.twitter.com/27x7).

Yes, those are blatant ads, but you have to start somewhere.

Thanks,
    Bill

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Here's hoping it was the Sacramento Bee severance checks that paid for the site that will now kick its ass.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Any need for editors if the site takes off?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm sure they do. Don't expect to get paid, though.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Opinion is a tough market to crack.
    Break a couple inconsequential news stories, and you're off and runnin'.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Fishwrapper.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I just went and clicked on all your ads.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

ditto

11. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

Bill,

I wish you all the best and success in this new endeavor. I know you'll work it hard right from the beginning.

All the best and here's to a much better New Year for you and all of us.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As someone who follows Northern California sports extensively, I like the site a lot.

Not a huge fan of the name, but I definitely like the site.

Draft saved Draft deleted