1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Sports Chants

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ddavis1192, Mar 11, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Uhhhh...
    I can't hear you. clap, clap, clap clap clap. I can't hear you.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

We've got your garden variety of "Our's school's free," and "We've got God" chants anytime the local Catholic school plays one of its two biggest rivals.

Facebook has improved the quality of high school chants. Two state-ranked teams played around these parts in a Thanksgiving tournament last season. Two players from the local team were apparently fighting over the same volleyball player. So each time those kids shot free throws -- and this was on their home floor, mind you -- the opposing cheering section chanted the girl's name.

My personal favorite happened at a Georgia-Georgia Tech football game at Sanford Stadium about 10 years ago. The UGA band was in place when some gold-clad Tech fans walked in. The band, in unison, pointed and started chanting "NERD! NERD! NERD!" To which my boss replied: "You know it's bad when the band is calling you nerds."

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Just hit me while reading through the other thread that no one mentioned one of the hardy perennials:

"Hoddy toddy, gosh almighty, who the hell are we.
    Flim-flam, bim-bam, Ole Miss, by damn."

Also, heard an original a few weeks ago at an academy state tournament basketball game, used the first time their opponent was called for traveling: "She walked, she walked, she took too many steps." Beats the tired old, "you can't do that, clap-clap, clapclapclap."

4. Crash

Crash Active Member

One of the local schools where I grew up, when the opposing team traveled, would chant: "You ain't got no suitcase but you traveled, you traveled."

Sometimes you need poor grammar to make a chant work.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2 local JUCO's playing each other.....Team getting drilled....calls timeout.......normally rowdy student section reduced to almost zero words.....other student section....."Why so quiet?........clap clap clap clap clap"

6. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

My favorite cheer of all-time came when the Norfolk State basketball team visited the team I was covering. Their cheerleaders chanted:
    We don't drink, we don't smoke,
    Nor-folk! Nor-folk!

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

There was a public school team that was playing a vocational school in the state hockey tournament a few years ago that chanted "Fix our toilets!"

And of course, there was the rich suburban school's fans who yelled at the city school's fans "Pump our gas!"

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

At the predominately Jewish school:
    Alaph-Bet-Gimmel-Daled,
    Hit the Goyim Good and Solid

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, that'll get'em every time yab

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

A few years ago, student fans for a small in-town Catholic school broke out the "Start your tractor (clap-clap-clap)" cheer in a league game against a small-town rival.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Isn't there an English soccer team whose fans chant at fans of rural opponents "I can't read! I can't write! But I can drive a tractor!"?

12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

My all-time favorite football cheer, best used after we'd polished off the pint bottle of bourbon that was standard equipment for watching college football in the South:

"Hit 'em in the left knee, hit em' in the right knee, hit 'em in the we-ne we-ne we need a touchdown!"

Draft saved Draft deleted