1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Sorkin Trailer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lcjjdnh, Apr 2, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Now, in addition to watching the series from pilot to finale (I'm in the middle of season two right now), I'm looking up quotes.

So far, I found this site http://westwingquotes.tumblr.com/

Here is one from Let Bartlet be Bartlet

Leo: You want to see me orchestrate this right now? You want to see me mobilize these people These people who would walk into fire if you told them to. These people who showed up to lead. These people who showed up to fight. That guy gets death threats because he's black and he dates your daughter. He was warned: Do not show up to this place, your life will be in danger. He said to hell with that, I'm going anyway. You said no. Prudent, or not prudent, this 21 year old for 600 dollars a week says, "I'm going where I want to because a man stands up." Everyone's waiting for you. I don't know how much longer.

2. outofplace

If you're going to go quote hunting, though, don't forget Fitzwallace.

Fitzwallace: The problem with that is that's what they were saying to me fifty years ago. Blacks shouldn’t serve with whites, it would disrupt the unit. You know what? It did disrupt the unit. The unit got over it. The unit changed. I’m an admiral in the U.S. Navy and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Beat that with a stick.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

"I don't want to alarm you or anything...but I'm dad."

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My friend who has seen the first three episodes said the women on the show with the possible exception of the lead actress are complete cliche sexist stereotypes.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And it's a Sorkin show. So....?

7. outofplace

Ok, I liked that a lot. Let's hope they can keep it up. Then again, I was pretty much a lock to watch this for quite a while even if it wasn't good, which is pretty much the only reason I saw every episode of Studio 60.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Dug it. Will keep watching

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Am trying to figure out why I kept hearing all of those negative reviews. I thought it was great.

10. outofplace

Some of the negative reviews praised the first two or three episodes. Studio 60 started off well, too.

11. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I understand some of the criticism -- especially the fact that, in this re-imagined scenario, this crew does a couple of weeks (months?) worth of complicated reporting in less time than it takes me to write a prep soccer gamer.

However, I still love the dialogue, the pace, the intensity. I'm looking forward to seeing how things unfold, especially because (if you'll remember TWW) a lot of the idealism is counter-balanced by best intentions that go awry, or bad intentions that bite the show's protagonists in the ass.

I'd also wait for a judgement on the characters. Allison Pill's character could be The Newsroom's version of Donna Moss (from TWW).

12. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I still think Studio 60 had one of the best pilots I'd ever seen. It took a few eps for it to bring me down from that, but I grew to hate it soon enough. The early reviews contain praise for the pilot, but start getting very critical of eps 3 and 4.

Draft saved Draft deleted