1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Sorkin Trailer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lcjjdnh, Apr 2, 2012.

1. SellOut

SellOut Member

Read two reviews this AM. the New Yorker pretty much crushed it, saying it was downhill severely after first two episodes and that Sorkin treats the audience like its stupid (which, I suppose being New Yorker just pisses them off). The TV Guide dude raved, which I suppose also means the New Yorker is right.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend who has seen the first three episodes said it is the most unrealistic, cliched piece of shit he's ever seen.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

Those are two discouraging posts, guys.

When is this show set to debut?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This Sunday night.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I haven't had HBO since 2008, and I know I've missed a lot of good shows since then.

If I sign back on and this show isn't worth it, what else can I jump into and hit the ground running on that will ease the blow?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, the clip HC posted above did not enthuse me. Not as much as the trailer.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

All the good HBO shows are now available via HBO GO, Johnny. So if you subscribe and dont mind watching on your laptop, you can catch up on Game of Thrones, Veep, Girls, Treme, Boardwalk Empire, plus all the older shows you might have missed like The Wire, Deadwood, Curb, etc.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

New Yorker. Nussbaum. No like.

www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2012/06/25/120625crte_television_nussbaum

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It could well be that the One-Trick Pony has . . . well . . . used up his trick.

10. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I wouldn't call Sorkin a one-trick pony, or even a guy who's best work is behind him. Between "Moneyball" and "The Social Network" he's clearly still got his fast-ball when it comes to scripts.

That New Yorker review does ominously reflect most of the things I hated about "Studio 60." Even the description of this project felt like Sorkin was trying to do "Studio 60 only right this time." Maybe that's just not a story he should tell, and it won't be any better the second time.

I'll still watch, of course. I suspect initial interest will be high enough and Sorkin's got enough cred that it would have to absolutely bomb for HBO not to give it a second season order.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I saw a spot for this before True Blood last night and it mentioned the Gulf oil spill and killing Bin Laden. It looks like it's going to be a show about a fictional cable news coverage of real life old news. That seems weird to me.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd start with Boardwalk Empire. Game of Thrones is excellent, but if you're not into the fantasy epic thing you won't like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted