1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New smart phones

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nmmetsfan, Jan 15, 2013.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I am eligible for an upgrade and looking around the market to see what's available. Have the iPhone 4 and have had iPhones for a while now, and have no real issue with them, but I'm certainly not married to Apple products.

Just looking for advice on the phones themselves. I know we've had old threads on this topic, but the market changes so often I didn't see the harm in starting a new one. So what phone do you prefer and why?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Just upgraded to iPhone 4 almost a year ago. No complaints ... didn't get enough memory, but that's because I like my music (portable, that is ... still doesn't compare to popping in a CD and upsetting the neighbors ... ).

Is the 4S or 5 really that much better? The 4 does everything I could realistically ask ...

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love my Droid Razr, for what it's worth.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I'll second IJAG's love for Droid Razrs.

I upgraded from a Droid 2 to a Droid Razr Maxx in November (and Mr. Rosie got his very first smart phone at the same time, the Razr.) For looks, I think the Razrs look much more elegant than the iPhones. At a recent family get-together, many of us had our phones out - half had iPhones, half had Razrs and the iPhones looked like old little bricks: Smaller screen, twice as thick.

And speaking of screens, I have never seen a brand of phones with so many broken screens as iPhones. I chaperone several youth events from small to large. My observations show the kids with iPhones always seem to have broken screens, and some adults with iPhones have broken phone screens as well.

For "to-do" abilities, I have found Droids to do just as much as the touted iPhones, and you don't have to deal with iTunes. (I abhor iTunes!) Backing up music or pictures is a snap on the Droid, just connect it to your computer and copy the files to your puter - no different than using a jump drive. There are just as many apps out there for Android-based OSs now, as well.

Bottom line, I highly recommend Android-based phones over iPhones, especially the Razrs. Added bonus to Razrs is toughness - gorilla glass screen and Kevlar body.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

JR and I got our first smartphones last year and went with the Galaxy Nexus. Really, really love it.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Love my Galaxy II. Excellent phone, great camera.

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Seconded. I have a Razr Maxx and love it.

Draft saved Draft deleted