1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SJ Owner

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Dec 5, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't care for the redesign but I do appreciate your effort, your enthusiasm and your respectfulness. We have not seen a lot of the latter from the bosses lately. Peace out and Merry Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Thanks, I see that I am now up to "active member." And just when I was ready to start grounding people! ;)

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This guy has whined with every leadership of the site. Don't mind him, Jeff. He's our Aunt Edna.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  4. Haven't seen many decent designs for message boards. Applaud the effort, as I assume it wasn't an easy task to switch the board to a new platform.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The strategic use of white space on steroids. Anyhoo, welcome, jefe Jeff, and just remember, Brad Renfro was good in The Client.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Love the alerts. That is a great addition. I don't love that it's not as easy to see if you have a PM. I had to go mark every one in my inbox as read in order to get that working the way I wanted.

I have never understood why the delete post was taken away. If I started a thread that nobody responded to, I could delete it. If I posted something that was wrong, I could delete it. I'd love to have that back.

Welcome to the board. As someone who has been here since Day One, I like what you've done so far.

8. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Rosie likes this.
  9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And then you got another!

Boom_70 and dooley_womack1 like this.
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the purchase of the first forum went reasonably well since you decided to buy a second one.

Could you share a little of that experience with us?

Since I'm not sure how discreet you'd like to be, I won't mention the other forum, but it looks like they had many of the same problems when you bought it, and members had some of the same concerns with the change in ownership.

Were you able to grow revenue/membership/page views, etc.? Did you lose any/many active members in order to do so?

12. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

The other forum was abandoned by previous ownership for the previous few years as well. It is a much bigger site with a lot more customizations, but the software is ancient, so my wife and I are doing a complete rebuild from the bottom up. It's a lot more work than just the simple forum migration I did here.

Haven't lost anyone over there, instead I have users regularly PM me to ask when the update will happen so they can come back and hang out on a site where the functionality isn't so ancient.

Draft saved Draft deleted