1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New site - The Big Dog has the Floor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well I appreciate the positive feedback. Thank you.
    He would get a real kick out of people reading this stuff, although he would never have admitted that.
    He might have admitted it, if I got enough beer into him.

HC likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I took a quick look. Two thoughts. 1) You are a good guy, Buck. 2) Your dad comes across as fun and genuinely funny. I think what you are doing is nice.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ragu.

There will be material that some might find provocative, to say the least.
    He was an arch conservative and a devout traditionalist Catholic, with the attendant views on abortion and homosexuality.
    And he could be quite strident in expressing his opinion.

I wanted to kick off the site with some lighter content, but I'll be posting the other material down the road a bit.
    I'm not endorsing or condemning those opinions, but I will post the material in the future.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Now I'm crying.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It got me when I first read it.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I second this sentiment. I enjoy interesting writing and your dad certainly had the flair for it.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

It made me feel you were lucky to have access to your Dad's emotional life, even if it's after the fact. I would love to know what was going on in my Dad's heart and head all those years.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I am very lucky. You're right.
    He thought and felt very deeply, but you would have never known the latter. He was not demonstrative or expressive in that way in person.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Thank you for reading.

I'll probably have some new content in about a week or so.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

My first job out of college in 1984 was in New York -- about 1,000 miles from home. It wasn't a big deal to talk on the phone with home at least a few times a week, but one thing I really remember about the experience was getting letters from my dad. He's 78 now and still pretty healthy, but I so wish I had had the foresight to keep those letters. It was the first time I really became aware of how highly he thought of me.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed this ... why is he Big Dog?

Draft saved Draft deleted