1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SI - Santana

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Guy_Incognito, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The fight where Savage stole the Intercontinental belt from him by hitting him with the foreign object removed from his shorts, is the one that drove me away from wrestling forever. He & Ricky the Dragon were my 2 favorites.

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

For everyone who was glad to see Reilly go saying he had lost something off his fastball or was mailing it in, I would say that the majority of the back page columns since he left have barely been mediocre by his standards, at best. And some, mostly the ones by Roberts, have been worse than even the ones that Reilly smacked big, fat postage stamps on.

That said, what's he doing at ESPN? I don't think I've seen or read anything from his since he made the move.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

He can't start working for them until June, I believe. Probably had a non-compete clause in his SI contract.

And you're right about Reilly's replacements, btw. Ever since he left, the back page has been a dud.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I liked Verducci's Clemens story this week. I remember people here debating whether he should have been more skeptical of Clemens when writing the workout stories, issues Verducci addresses in the story.

And I really liked Ballard's dunk story, especially the line about Davis' jam over Kirilenko entering the Museum of Dunks in the Little Men Disgracing Big wing.

5. NASCAR extravaganza? It was a season preview, and 13 pages out of the entire 96-page magazine -- a much lower percentage of the total book than most sports receive for their previews. And while Roberts is still clearly trying to find her way, many of the pieces SI has done in recent weeks -- Rick Majerus, Gene Upshaw vs. NFL vets, dribble-drive motion, the father who put his inline skating son on steroids -- have been exceptional. Yes, the Players section is often worthless, the Dan Patrick stuff is trash, and the book misses that bit of levity Rick Reilly often brought. But overall, it's still very good, and worth the money. Especially when compared to the competition.

6. Guy_Incognito

Strangely, I miss Rushin far more than Reilly, an he had lost alot off his fastball too.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

At times, I think SI's harshest critics on this board have not read the magazine regularly since 1996. They just glance at in in the dentist's office and piss and moan. I actually thought the pigeon racing story was interesting. Different. Dunks story was well done. Timely, considering it was tied to the dunk contest.

Roberts column was, again, underwhelming.

8. Guy_Incognito

Again, as the one who started this, I just started reading it again as of last week. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Agree. SI's lengthy features are mostly excellent reads, although you have to get through the fluff at the beginning of the mag to get to them.

But they really do miss Reilly in the back. Roberts isn't going to cut it on that page...she's not interesting or witty enough.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I miss Rushin as well, it's just that you never really heard of people immediately flipping to page 8 when their issue arrived. Whether or not both lost their fastball, I'd still take them turning into a Pedro-esque nibbler than their replacements' "fastballs."

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, it's not as if you're not allowed to read the longer features if you don't read the Pop Culture Grid first.

Wasn't the back page supposed to rotate among writers? Seems like Roberts has had the majority of the work.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It seems to be a three-person rotation with Selena, Ballard and SL Price. I'd like to see them widen it out to see what other people could do in that spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted