1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SI.com look

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by subhead, Jan 29, 2007.

1. subhead

subhead Member

It's about sports news, so I figured Sports and News over Anything Goes...

I just noticed SI.com has a new look. I like it. It just became my favorite sports site. I hate how ESPN.com has the video start playing right away and Sportsline.com has the top ad and kind of a stale overall look.

That is all.

2. WSKY

WSKY Member

You're right, I hate the video, I'll click on ESPN.com and before I realize it, I forgot to turn my volume down on my computer and the video scares the fuck out of me.

I just checked out the new SI site. Not bad, but that big-ass ad is obnoxious.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I didn't like the SI.com redesign.

ESPN.com has pretty much lost me forever.

And don't knock Sportsline. It keeps it simple. I just want the news, sans bells and whistles. That's why Sportsline is the first site I check out for general news.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I can live with the new ad, given that I like the new look. Helps that they package the three main stories in a newspaper-style format with the hammerhead up top, the photo with a caption beneath it, and then the deck and link.

5. subhead

subhead Member

Sportsline's been the first site I check for quite a while now. I usually like the simple look, but unless it's baseball season, they don't produce much material. It's usually AP main and all side stories.

SI has that, plus usually more opinions and other non-AP stuff. Now the site's not tough to look at so it passes Sportsline for me.

ESPN.com is last and is only to glance at what they have, such as a new E-Ticket feature or something. Or a headline such as: "ESPN, Scoop Jackson, Stuart Scott, Woody Paige part ways"

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If you have the Firefox browser with adblock, you don't see an ad on si.com or cbssportsline.com.

7. that is a MAJOR improvement. wow. i like that a lot.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

First thing that I noticed was PK... so much for improvement

d. Coffeenerdness: Seattle, you might want to do some spot checks on the Newark Airport Starbucks in Terminal C. Some bad and careless lattes being made there. I don't mind surly baristas as long as they make a drink that remotely resembles the latte you buy in a regular Starbucks out there in America. Too often, these don't.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I like the look a lot more than Mr. King's coffee-obsession.

10. tommyp

tommyp Member

They defintely got a jump on Page 2's redesign:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_Page2_Page2

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Meanwhile, ESPN made a change on its front today. They've cleaned up the catagories a little bit in the top banner. I think it's an improvement.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Now if they'd fix it so that video doesn't automatically run when you call up the site, that also would help.

Draft saved Draft deleted