1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SI: Charles Pierce on Wes Welker

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by DietCoke, Dec 16, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not for nothing, but from jgmacg's post introducing the writer's workshop.

So I think asking someone to critique a piece, even by the hallowed Charlie Pierce, on here is completely fair. It's not like they're posting a part-timer's prep roundup and ripping it. Charlie's a big boy.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If I had a signature, "Charlie's a big boy" would certainly make the short list of candidates.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm just saying. I get the jitters about tearing apart a no-name kid learning the business. But I think dissecting the work of some of the more successful writers, for better or worse, helps us all get better. And it's not "jealousy" (not you, Ragu, just the general response) that leads to us picking apart a story. It's a desire to get better.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Charlie don't surf

Roll Tide

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I thought it was hilarious. But I had a kid who was a 15-year-old longsnapper once. Have you ever seen a bunch of 14 and 15 year-olds try to kick an extra point? Many of whom barely know how to put on their pads the right way?

I really like Charlie Pierce and am incredibly dismayed by this thread. I would rather shoot myself in the head than read another earnest, mundane piece on what makes Wes Welker or whomever a good football player.

What Stitch said.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

What sort of "roll" do you think Leach played? Poppyseed? Parker House? Just wondering.

Draft saved Draft deleted