1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new security measures by TSA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Remember when Dirty Harry posed as a pilot so he could go on the plane and kill the hijackers in Magnum Force?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

RT @BreakingNews: Officials say the disruptive passenger had 'stomach problems' that prevented him from leaving the restroom when asked - NBC

Fuckin' airline food.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because as long as there are people and objects on the plane (and really just people), there is infinite possibility for smuggling destructive devices. It's impossible to block everything.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Have you been reading my Twitter feed? :D

Update: RT @BreakingNews: Investigators determine passenger was a businessman who became ill during the flight - AP

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

got to do both

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

He was angry at Americans (or his father) because his father, the banker, had made millions e-mailing Americans offers of millions and not cut him in on the action.

7. KP

KP Active Member

Actually flew Delta/Northwest yesterday (PVD-DTW and DTW-BOS) with just a backpack for a day trip for the LCPB. Only change from normal was that both PVD and DTW were patting down the hood to my sweatshirt - TSA in PVD even wanted me to take it off if I had something underneath.
    Not sure if that's common with regular flying, can't recall if I've worn a hoodie on a plane before.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That almost makes sense, actually. They make you take jackets off, so it stands to reason they'd make you take a thick hoodie off as well.

I'd wonder if an undershirt would count as something underneath. Would hate to be wandering through security in a ratty T-shirt. :D

It's all still cosmetic stuff, though. Planes will always be a target, because if you happen to succeed in bringing one down, it's a massive story. Bigger than almost anything else you can do, just because of the rarity of plane crashes.

I'd think you'd have far more success trying to blow up a train carriage, or a Greyhound bus, or a subway. But it just doesn't have that same effect.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

To answer the question about the air marshalls: they're on flights (though they say none on the AMS-DTW flight). You would have no idea they were there even if they were. They won't break cover for that minor of a disruption. part of their modus is to maintain secret cover to prevent being spotted on later flights.

And believe me, they are flying. A lot. Estimate of a billion miles this year. They obviously can't be on every flight. There's not enough manpower for that.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not putting them on every flight is also a part of their effectiveness, or so they say. If there were one on every flight, someone who wanted to cause trouble could be scouting to figure out who it was.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

As for security: What about the scanners? How powerful are they? Can they find everything?

12. Zsaji

Zsaji New Member

You tell me!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29997633/

The whole-body imagers aren't in most airports...yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted