1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new security measures by TSA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, Dec 26, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, Detroit's a little further than Toronto or Buffalo but I get your point. Unless the drive is about 6 hours or more, it's easier and probably just as fast to drive.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure that Nigerian guy was just coming here to deliver the rest of the money someone won in the lottery.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Detroit airport is about five hours, Buffalo is four, Toronto is two-and-a-half. But when I was pricing flights to Los Angeles last year, Detroit won out because I could go direct and the cost was less than half of what it would have cost to fly from Toronto. Buffalo's cost was similar to Detroit, but it wasn't straight through.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So what did you pay Detroit to LA?

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

A little over $500, round trip. Would have cost about $1,200 to go from and return to Toronto.

Even factoring in the exchange, $500 was still a hell of a bargain.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Much of 'the rest of the world' holds a serious disdain for America. I realize I'm coming off sounding like a xenophobe, but that's not really the case.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

'Much of the rest of the world holds a serious disdain for America, but I'm not a xenophobe.'

OK, sure. Oh, and terrorists don't hate anyone else in the world. Just Americans. No one else.

Define 'most of the rest of the world,' by the way. Because I'm guessing most folks in, say, Britain don't have a murderous dislike of America. Now, granted, a lot of folks don't much care for Americans anymore, but that's no one's fault but America's.

You want safer flights? Then someone's gonna have to step up and accept that paying TSA agents serf wages may not be the best plan. That would be a far more effective strategy than just screaming 'FURRINERS!' and running for the hills.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you're being so combative here, man. Most of the rest of the world -- Europeans don't hold us in the highest regard, for the most part. People in predominantly Muslim nations cheered in the streets when the Twin Towers came down.

Personally, I've never felt unsafe on an airplane. I think the TSA does a fine job, but you're right, they could be paid better. I can deal with the inconveniences that go along with plane travel as long as a trade off for safety. And really, that's all I was saying to begin with. No, I don't sit on a plane and look at a Muslim and go "TERRORIST!!" I'll ask this, though. When's the last time an American national has been caught up in one of these security fiascos?

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Why am I being combative? Because you're saying 'Europeans don't hold us in the highest regard' as part of your defense for increased security standards on international flights, thereby making an awfully strong implication that you're afraid the average Belgian might try to blow up an international flight.

Most of the rest of the world is not, in fact, out to get you. Most of the rest of the world would, however, appreciate not having a skeptical eye cast upon it every time something bad happens.

Oh, by the way, the passenger being lauded as a hero? A Dutchman. Guess that's one who's on 'your side.'

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

There's no evidence that any of the silly security measures since 9/11 (taking off shoes, limiting liquids to some certain ounce requirement, no water bottles, this new stuff) has provided additional safety. It's a bunch of reactionary noise & hassle to give the appearance of security instead of anticipating actual threats.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No, you're putting words in my mouth now. I don't think the average Belgian or Dane or Austrian is out to get us. I probably spoke a little knee-jerk at first, but you're making one hell of a leap to go from my original post to me saying "the whole world is out to get us."

I'd rather be safe than sorry. That's all I'm saying. If I'm inconvenienced with more security regulations, so be it. If the trade-off is making sure that one fucking wacko with an agenda doesn't get on the flight, inconvenience me. I don't care.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Explain? Let's see.

- No blankets: The guy covered himself with a blanket as he lit his explosives on fire.

- Remain in seats: The guy went to the pisser, presumably to prepare his incendiary device.

- No access to carry ons: Kinda self-explanatory. Don't want some terrorist going to his bad for his explosives.

- etc., etc.

Just read the allegations.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2009/12/nigerian_man_charged.php#more

Draft saved Draft deleted