1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new security measures by TSA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Add extra 5 minutes for every stroller in security line.

2. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Just another step toward the restoration of luxury boat travel !

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No pillows? Eff you panicky airlines.

(Says the man who has no earthly idea when his next international flight will ever be.)

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

plus binkies, toys, medicine, wipes.....you'd need more than a purse to carry all that junk. I'm just pointing out one problem with "no carry ons allowed" policies.

Just make an exception for people with infants....the luggage bays are already on the planes.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Go on a 12-hour flight with an infant sometime ... the stuff you need is amazing.

Formula, bottles, toys, more toys for when they get bored ... some small stuff to munch on so you're not bugging the flight attendant all the time ... diapers, wipes, binkies, all sorts of stuff. Our diaper bag was stuffed to the gills with stuff.

And no pillows? I'd still have a bruised sternum -- the only long flight with my kid (who was 15 months at the time), the way he expressed displeasure was to thrust his head back into my chest.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A quicker turnaround of equipment would cost the airlines money for the following reasons:
    1) They're having trouble filling flights now at off-peak times, offloading a plane quicker to get another flight into the schedule would just add another partially full plane operating at a loss to the schedule
    2) If they did add an extra flight due to the quicker turnaround, they'd lose any profit due to having pissed off customers sitting on a plane on an overcrowded runway

Unless you're saying they can save money by having flight attendants and pilots work hourly and then save the money when they get to go off duty 20-30 minutes earlier due to a quicker deplaning procedure.

I hate having to wait for checked luggage and when I do travel the wife and I have been able to fit everything we need into a couple of carry-ons. Now with the baby we might need to go the checked luggage route, but we'd still need to carry on a diaper bag -- which if packed properly can be about the same size as an oversized laptop carrier.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

On behalf of the rest of the world, I'd like to remind you that that Nigerian idiot wouldn't have gotten on that plane if he'd been on the U.S. no-fly list.

And I'm not sure why the restrictions are tightened only on international flights. This is crass, and I know it is, but remind me of the departure points and destinations of the 9/11 flights again?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good points, Vols and deskslave. I just have no tolerance for anyone pulling shenanigans on a flight...between this guy and the shoe bomber and the people plotting death and destruction over in London back when. Isolated incidents, I know. But I'd rather err on the side of caution, that's all.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought he WAS on the no fly list?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Another reason not to fly to the U.S.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

For me, as I said, the price tag is the big reason I won't fly to the U.S. Not when there are airports in Buffalo and Detroit that aren't much further away than Toronto's.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Err on the side of caution, and paint 'the rest of the world' with a nice broad brush. I know it's easier to pretend like the problems are all someone else's fault, but I'm not sure why the rest of the world should have to suffer disproportionate annoyance, not to mention be blamed for the U.S.'s problems, all because the U.S. DHS can't get its act together. (And gee, if I were a terrorist and wanted to cause problems, what might I do now? Focus my energies on domestic flights? Nahhhh ... too easy.)

There have been terror cells busted in the U.S., too. It's not just a London thing. Or an Amsterdam thing.

ETA: FH, the story I read indicated he was on a watch list, but not a no-fly list. Not sure how they're not the same thing, but there you go.

Draft saved Draft deleted