1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new security measures by TSA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Iron_chet, Dec 26, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I've been saying all along the airlines have it backward. Make people pay to carry luggage on, but check bags for free.
    The amount of shit people are carrying on is getting totally out of control and nobody is enforcing the restrictions on the size and number of things you can carry on.

2. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Now uneducated TSA employees will yell instructions even louder at passengers as if we're grade-school idiots. These people shouldn't be telling anyone what to do.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

iditots = stupid toddlers.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

May peace be upon you if you have to travel this week.

I almost missed my flight going out of LGA 2 weeks ago. Only 2 out of a possible 8 screening areas open. Lines around the terminal. Made even worse by non essential workers like Omar the newspaper stand man jumping to front of line.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

We're all struggling with what to do with checked vs. carry-on luggage. I still have a problem with charging for the bag, but that's what the company wants and I will do so. We make too much money from it to stop now.

And if you fly through on of my gates, the policy is enforced. Believe me.

6. Boom_70

If carry ons were banned, I think you could make a case that airlines would save money due to quicker turnaround of equipment. Full planes take at least 20 minutes longer to load and unload due to carry ons.

I would fully support a mandatory luggage carry on luggage ban with exception of small purse/ lap top or book.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Neither side can have everything all its own way. Boarded baggage saves the airlines plenty in checking/loading/unloading time.
    Just enforce the rules. Don't let people bring oversized luggage onto
    the plain, depending on it being
    accomodated in the overheads.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So would the airlines . . . now that almost all of them are charging $15 and up for the first checked bag, $25 for the second and anywhere from $50 to $200 for every bag after that.

Cheaper to just send the luggage ahead via UPS/FedEx.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

but what about the people traveling with infants and toddlers? They need to have formula, diapers, etc....and all that crap can't fit into a purse.

10. Boom_70

What do you really need- even coast to coast - a few diapers and a couple of bottles of formula.

Make breast feeding mandatory for flights of more than 3 hours.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Assuming you're flying non-stop and there are no delays that might be enough.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Just get it over and make everyone wear a pre-approved loincloth already. The 23-hour flight back from Cape Town I'm taking in a month will be miserable anyway, so this won't add much misery.

Draft saved Draft deleted