1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SEC football scheduling format

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 27, 2014.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Would top SEC schools pay for games against ripe major-conference cupcakes? I'm thinking my beloved Indiana University could back up the truck for some serious cheese.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

well played, Hoosiers
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24543532/indiana-is-waiting-for-your-call-sec-team

3. bueller

bueller Member

I think the mid-majors should do this. Have a MAC-Sun Belt Challenge to start every year. They'd willingly allow ESPN to do it like basketball, too, with games every night for a week. "It's Tuesday night in Bowling Green, Ohio, where the Falcons host Texas State."

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Pac-12 and Big Ten were supposed to have a scheduling arrangement in which every Pac-12 team would play a Big Ten team but I think the Big Ten backed out when it adopted a nine-game conference schedule. Too bad.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've always been a sucker for the games like LSU-Oregon or Alabama-Michigan.

It would be great if every team in a BCS conference had to play one game a year, early in the season, against a major conference team outside of their region. If everybody did it, there would be less bitching about it. Hell, make it completely random and if you travel one year, you're at home the next year.

Even the bad matchups, something like Washington State vs. Iowa State or Indiana vs. Georgia Tech would be a lot more interesting than what we usually are force fed during Week 2 and 3 of the season.

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Nope. The Pac 12 backed out because of its scheduling issues.

The Big Ten was at eight games at the time; Pac 12 at nine.

The breakdown of the package contributed to the Big Ten eventually voting to go to a nine-game schedule.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Define "region". Are you saying you'd rather see Alabama play Washington State than FSU? You'd rather see LSU play Syracuse than Texas? Just for the sake of being outside some predetermined notion of a region?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OK thanks, I'd forgotten the details. Too bad either way. But the local school plays Big Ten teams once in a while in home-and-homes and they are fun.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, obviously outside of the conference, but I wouldn't mind if they tried to have games where teams are playing on the opposite side of the country. Obviously, I'd rather see Alabama play Florida State than a shitty Pac-12 team, but I'd rather see games like Alabama-Oregon, Michigan-Florida, Ohio State-Florida State, LSU-USC. When I was in high school, Penn State had a home and home with USC and I remember going down there for it and it was really cool to be able to see a program like that playing in California.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Alabama and Penn State had a 10-year home-and-home from 1981-90. But that was back when Penn State was an independent and Alabama was only playing 6 SEC games a year.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Steak is right. Conference expansion has dealt a lethal blow to what used to be called intersectional games. On the other hand, many conference games are now be intersectional games. Maryland-Minnesota, Texas A&M-Georgia when that happens, West Virginia-Oklahoma, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted