1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SEC football scheduling format

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 27, 2014.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Notice how I use the word "at" a lot. And they would be even bigger road underdogs if played in cold weather. All of the listed teams have a chance to be strong at any point in the future.

at Ohio State
    at Michigan
    at Oklahoma
    at Oklahoma State
    at Michigan State (in November)
    at Oregon
    at USC
    at UCLA
    at Clemson
    at Virginia Tech
    at Stanford
    at Baylor
    at Washington
    at Wisconsin
    at Arizona
    at Arizona State
    at Cal
    at West Virginia

Truth is, we never really know how the SEC would do on the road against top programs because there is such a small sample size.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have no problem with this. I wonder if they'll rotate opponents from the other Division, or stick with predetermined "rivalries"

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

One permanent rival (thus Alabama-Tennessee and Georgia-Auburn are protected) and the other one rotates, just like now.

4. Mizzougrad96

Florida's is LSU right?

5. Steak Snabler

Yes. Ole Miss-Vandy; Miss State-Kentucky; Texas A&M-Mizzou & Arkansas-South Carolina are the others.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Not exactly. Arkansas is now paired with Mizzou and A&M gets South Carolina.

But lets give everyone in the SEC cookie because once every five years Alabama plays Penn State or something.

The problem isn't one highlight non-conference game but the regular appearance of schools like Wofford, Samford, etc.

Eliminate or strictly limit the number of I-AA games. It is those cupcakes that make the conference look bad.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Or something, all right. ::)

Bama's top OOC opponents the past few years:

2014: West Virginia
    2013: Virginia Tech
    2012: Michigan
    2011: Penn State
    2010: Penn State
    2009: Virginia Tech
    2008: Clemson

And just for shits and giggles, LSU:

2014: Wisconsin
    2013: TCU
    2012: Washington
    2011: Oregon
    2010: West Virginia
    2009: Washington

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Big Ten schedules for shit too. Last year Ohio State played Buffalo, San Diego State, Cal and Florida A&M. Cal was supposed to be the marquee attraction but finished 1-11. And if you want to give them credit because of what Cal was when that game was put on the board, that's fine, but then allow it for the SEC schools too.

9. Steak Snabler

But they didn't play them on the road (in November!) so it doesn't count in the land of the SEC Haterade-drinkers.

Sure, a Big Ten or Big 12 team is probably more than willing to give up a November bye week to play a game they might lose by 3 touchdowns. It's all because the SEC is ducking them. [/double eyeroll]

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes, the bone-chilling 37-degree temperature for last year's Michigan-Ohio State game would have rendered Alabama impotent. And with the exception of noted end-of-season intersectional rivalries (USC-Notre Dame, FSU-Florida, etc.), most November OOC games are much earlier in the month. When the weather is just fine for football just about everywhere.

11. Steak Snabler

And FWIW, Ole Miss did have a home-and-home scheduled with Clemson for 2015-16 until it was canceled ... by Clemson:

http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/07/clemson-cancels-future-football-games-oklahoma-state-ole-miss/

12. Mizzougrad96

Florida hasn't played a non-conference road game outside of the state of Florida since 1991. I'm not sure if that includes neutral sites, but I think it does...

That's not to say they play an easy schedule, especially since they play Florida State every year and Florida State and Miami in some... It is amazing though...

I wish they did something like they did with hoops where one week every team in the Pac-12 would play the top 12 teams in the SEC based on how they finished the previous season. I'm sure the ADs would be against it though...

Draft saved Draft deleted