1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SEC football scheduling format

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Will continue to play just 8 league games per year, but every school must schedule at least one game against the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten or Pac-12 every year beginning in 2016.

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/250851/sec-announces-format-for-future-football-schedules.aspx

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Almost everyone does, right?

Trying to think of an SEC school that doesn't schedule a power school on a regular basis. Sounds nice, but that's not a real issue.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What's the point of having a league if you're not going to play everyone? Should be nine, probably 10, league games.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There they go ignoring the little guys again. How will Presbyterian and Georgia Southern be able to balance the budget without body bag games?

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, I believe all the other "BCS" conference teams will be playing nine conference games in a couple years.

I know the Big 10 starts in 2016, the Pac-12 and Big 12 already play nine, and I think the ACC does, too.

But hey, those nine-game league slates would have meant only four home SEC games some years, and five road games. That's too tough an obstacle!

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

One decent game, the SEC teams then as many cupcakes as they can wedge into November.

http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=27811&SPID=2164

All at home...
    Sam Houston
    UL Monroe
    NM State

http://www.gatorzone.com/schedule.php?sport=footb

Idaho
    Michigan (Eastern)
    Eastern Kentucky on Nov. 22nd WTF

7. mb

mb Active Member

FFS. Maybe pick a team that isn't playing the defending national champ?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If the SEC starts losing a bunch of these SOS games, this strategy could backfire. Keeping it "in the family" has kept the SEC leaders ambush-free the last 6 or 7 years.

9. mb

mb Active Member

Since 2006, every SEC team that has played for the national title has played a non conference game against a major-conference foe. But feel free to continue the narrative that SEC schools don't play anybody.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Have actual media types fallen for this idea of a "change"? That would be embarrassing.

I'd like to know when was the last time any SEC school failed to schedule a non-conference game against a big-boy conference.

11. mb

mb Active Member

6-1-1 is ridiculous. Should have been 6-0-2 if 9 is non-negotiable.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This year, Ole Miss, Miss. State, Vandy and A&M don't play a team from a big boy conference. But, to be fair, Ole Miss does get Boise at Atlanta this season.

Draft saved Draft deleted