1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New season of "Serial" out Sept. 20

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Severian, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

You are definitely an anomaly.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I wanted to like S-Town, but it hacked me off when it would hint at pursuing storylines that never got resolved or, in some cases, never really started. In the end, we were left with a protagonist whom I grew to find exceptionally annoying.

Kato and sgreenwell like this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I tried with S-Town but finally gave up. Ultimately I didn't want to spend any more time with any of those assholes.

Season 2 of Serial wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't on par with Season 1.

4. Severian

Thank you. I'm glad there are people who did not enjoy S-Town as much as I did.

People were obsessed with this show. Really? I was intrigued by the cover-up murder. But, then, the plot shifted on John, who I gave zero shits about, and him being a closeted gay man. *Yawn*

Kato likes this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

They investigated the crime and produced the first season as it was airing so the show was always designed to have some element of uncertainty in its storytelling. And the first season fell apart towards the end as it seemed the shows were stuffed with filler, repeating parts of the story because the show didn't find anything more to go on.

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

OK. I didn't get that sense about Season 1, and if they were producing as they went, they made it work. I was pretty much captivated by it every week. But with Season 2, they they literally had to put it on hold for a bit due to real-time developments in the Bergdahl case that were making national news. At least for me, they never really recovered from that.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

S-Town had an Emperor Has No Clothes feel to me. I was bored from the first episode and it never got the least bit interesting.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I really am a freak. I listened to S-Town in one go on a long drive and absolutely loved it.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Must have been a very long drive.

10. Severian

What's there to like? It was boring. Sure, the character was gay in a southern town, but that doesn't make it a compelling podcast. I kept listening, waiting for a twist of some kind, but none came, and I left feeling disappointed.

Now, if you want a riveting podcast, listen to the L.A. Times' "Dirty John" series.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I just found the characters interesting. I'm weird like that.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I also liked Season 2. And I aggressively listened to S-Town, but was very unsatisfied with the ending, which I felt diminished the whole show.

Looking forward to season 3.

Draft saved Draft deleted