1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SE in Rochester

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 17, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the Pipeline:

Steve Bradley, 39, promoted from ASE to SE at Rochester. Steve was bumped up to associate SE or some similar title after being offered another job not too long ago. Rochester native, Syracuse grad and all-around good guy.

2. patchs

patchs Active Member

What happened to Batzold?

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I heard that Batzold had some health issues, but nothing that would have ordinarily kept him permanently sidelined. The real issue is probably related to upper management. The exec editor happily drinks the Gannett corporate Kool-Aid (and goes back for refills) and the ME doesn't leave anyone with a warm and fuzzy feeling either.

Rumor mill says Rochester isn't hiring a body to replace Batzold, just sliding someone over part-time from the copy desk. That hurts because, like a lot of places, they've been short-handed for too long.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

gannett taking the low road? surely you jest.

5. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

I'm serious. And don't call me Shirley.

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Had to be done.

7. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Good for Bradley, and hopefully Batzold's health improves.

Both great guys, both helped me get started in this biz a few years back. Bradley certainly brings a lighter side to the newsroom with him...

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yes it did. good work newbie.

9. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Bradley is a great editor who pushes writers to get better. He knows the area as well as anyone. It will do Rochester some good to have a new voice and a fresh perspective running the show. That said, Batz ran a strong section and hopefully everything is OK with him. If you wanted to know something about Rochester sports, he knew it. A good guy who dedicated himself to making the paper better every day while working within the Gannett framework.

10. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

New intell has surfaced in the last week or so. Bottom line is that Batzold got screwed. The ME has been like the north end of a southbound horse since Day 1. Batzold finally said "enough is enough."

Bradley is a good man. He'll have viable options when he decides it's time to pull the rip cord on Gannett.

Draft saved Draft deleted