1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New SE in Nashville

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline:

Dave Ammenheuser is leaving the Riverside Press-Enterprise to become SE at the Nashville Tennessean. He'll join former PE EIC Maria DeVarenne, who left Riverside for Nashville sometime last year. I think the staff found out on Thursday or Friday.

Me again: Congrats to Dave, who is a member here

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Congrats to Dave. Not a surprising move, but a nice one, indeed. Worked with Maria 12-some years ago.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

At least they didn't insult anyone's intelligence by posting the opening.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Never met Dave, but the PE crew has always been helpful when I've asked. Congrats.

5. rde

rde New Member

Did Mike Jones get passed over again, or is he not there anymore?

6. HejiraHenry

Oh, he's still there.

Probably doesn't look as good in a suit as some guy from Riverside, of course, but he's still there.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Perhaps a dumb question: Who WAS the sports editor?

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

I'm biased here, but even with Gannett cutbacks, a good opportunity for Dave. It's a market that cares about preps, colleges and the pros.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've always heard good things about Dave. The Riverside paper was always an over-achieving red-headed stepchild.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thanks to my split geography, I read both papers every morning...and the PE's sports section is head-and-shoulders above the Tennessean's. I sure would like to offer Dave some reader's advice from a lifetime Tennessean reader. That paper could use some work.

11. HejiraHenry

Larry Taft, who could find, say, Gallatin on a map without help. Came up through the preps and was involved on the onlne side for a while. Helluva guy who took a retirement buyout. One of many.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Competed for many years against the P-E. Last saw it in December and still a good read despite the gutting that has gone on there.

Draft saved Draft deleted