1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

new s.i. -- gary smith on agassi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Jul 12, 2006.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

people should know their limits. nothing wrong with that. 8) 8) 8)

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does Smith have the dream job? Of course...

But there's a reason for that... He's quite simply the best...

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i worked with gary the year he spent at the n.y. daily news in 1980. he was the best then, too. had lupy totally freaked. lupy thanked his lucky stars when gary went to "inside sports" to begin his awesome mag-writing career. some of those pieces are oft-forgotten, too.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That makes two spectacular stories on Agassi in SI in a period of only a few years.

They did a nice one on his upbringing a few years ago that focused a lot on his father and his father's anger at Pancho Gonzalez (for marrying Agassi's sister).

And of course, the swimsuit issue with Steffi is one of my all-time favorites. :-*

5. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Are you talking about the Pancho Gonzalez feature by S.L. Price? ("The Lone Wolf," June 24, 2002; and yes, I had to look up the date.) As I recall, that was an excellent story but it didn't discuss Andre much, if at all. It did, however, delve into Gonzalez's relationship with Andre's sister and Mike Agassi's dislike for Gonzalez. Can't find an active link to that story.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Anyone got a link. For whatever reason none of the local stores has the current SI.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You're right, it was more of a Pancho story than an Andre story.

But until reading it I had no idea the families were connected. It was one of those stories about famous people where it seemed like every paragraph you learned something new. Don't get much of that these days.

8. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Come on, tell us more. Don't dangle this out there, and just leave us with this nugget. :)

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Agreed on all counts. And if anyone in our business deserves some extra letters, it would be Gary Freaking Smith.

rb

10. Songbird

Just read it. I enjoyed it. Got dewy dust in my eye toward the end.

Only one thing: I would've somehow led with the steak dinner. That was the first time I felt the article grabbed my attention. But who am I to offer any type of critique? The emerging love story between Andre and Steffi is one for the ages.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I thought the story was very well done, though a lot of that stuff I knew already because I first met Agassi when he was 14.

The part about chasing Steffi was the most revealing part to me, if only because you would figure the two of them would have at least met a few times over the years.

12. Songbird

The question begs: Who's more nuts, Mike Agassi or Richard Williams?

Draft saved Draft deleted