1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Running 24 Thread (01/29)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jan 29, 2007.

1. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Hasn't that actor (John Lowenstein?) made an absolutely great living playing the guy that everyone wants to punch in the face?
    It's a living, I guess. Probably avenging his high-school torment every working day of his life.

2. Kent_Dorfman

Kent_Dorfman Member

My only request from this season is that before Jack finally kills him, that Jack's brother gets his arm chopped off by a helicopter blade and gives the Luke Wilson "Now this is gettin' goddamnridiculous" line from Anchorman.

3. healingman

healingman Guest

Just want to chime in: I've seen episodes here and there on "24 Weekend" versions and always been interested. I don't have TiVo, so no copying ("Copy that!") show to see later on while at work. Yet this season, I was able to see most of the first 4 hours. Wow! I'm really impressed. Kiefer Sutherland is an incredible actor in this role ... and I'm glad to see him with success, too. It kinda -- and I mean kinda -- has a little "Mission: Impossible" (TV show, OK?) feel to it for me ... but I may just be in the minority on that point. Ahh, well ... just a newbie's two cents.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Last season had a MI feel for me because of all the spy music they played.

5. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I see where you're coming from, but even MI, the show made some semblance of sense every now and then. 24 never does, which I suppose is the appeal of it.

6. KYSportsWriter

24 never makes sense until the very last episode.

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

If they whack Romano with anything helicopter-related, I'll start watching again. That would be awesome. :D

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think Jack's brother is in cahoots with the weasy guy from Ally McBeal. They are the ones really running the terrorist organization.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

What would have been cool is if they'd gotten Kiefer's real-life dad, Donald Sutherland, to play his father. I read that Kiefer asked him to do it, but he was committed to a movie and couldn't work it into his schedule.

10. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Yeah, I've watched every episode of every season.I agree that there's always some major shit that happens right off the bat, but not a friggin' nuke going off near LA and Jack shooting another main character in the throat.

Hopefully there's more left, but my point is that those first four episodes are difficult to top, even by 24 standards.

11. KYSportsWriter

That's what the writers want us to think.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is Kiefer's career-defining role. Hard to believe now, but he was in the direct-to-video bin before 24 hit big.

His career arc--getting dumped by Julia Roberts at the altar, catching the "B" movie bug and a party man past/present--gives Jack the necessary element of darkness. Jack Bauer is one of those roles you can't imagine anyone else playing.

Draft saved Draft deleted