1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rules: You can't cheer against the Tar Heels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Even for a major college coach, Roy Williams has been extremely thin skinned for a long time and when he's convinced he's right about something there's no changing his mind.

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I live in the Raleigh area and this has been a big story down here -- likely much, much bigger than elsewhere in the country.

The only possible thing I can defend Roy about is apparently those seats are handled by the school for boosters and big whig alums (from my understanding of it, correct me if I'm wrong on that) and Roy was pissed that a non-UNC fan was sitting in those seats and cheering for the other team.

If the fan had gone Mike Tyson on Deon Thompson and yelled something about eating his children then okay, I can understand Roy taking an issue with it. But all the fans sitting around this guy -- UNC fans mind you -- claim all he yelled was "Deon, miss it!" as Thompson stepped to the free throw line. WTF? Has Roy seriously never heard anything worse? College basketball fans can be brutal -- especially in the ACC. Surely Roy has heard much much worse than this.

And why does Roy have the power to dismiss anyone he wants? He's the coach. Not the head of security. I wonder how things would've played out if the guy was sitting in his own seat -- the one which he paid good money for -- when he yelled this. There's no way you can kick someone out of their own seat for cheering for the other team. So I think the fact that he was sitting in those kind of "reserved" seats was the real issue.

Kind of strange that he would react the way he did to something that seems so trivial. He needs to choose his battles wisely.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In the sake of full disclosure, Steve Kirschner has treated me very, very well in the past and I appreciate his going above and beyond back in the day.

But drunk? Could everyone around the fan smell him? That's a major reach.

And Roy? Yeah ... I think it's time he felt a little heat from some other arenas in the ACC. Durham would be an excellent start.

4. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

The PC supporter should have learned from the experience of one Elaine Benes, ejected from Yankee Stadium for wearing an Orioles cap in a box seat.

But seriously ... I hope every UNC fan who mutters as much as a cross word at Cameron on March 6 gets tossed out on their ass.

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Thought I should dig this one up after seeing in the latest SI that Roy Williams "loves it when opposing fans go crazy" and tells a lame story of him playfully giving it back to some MSU fans once (again, during a game).

Reading that just made me think of this thread and kind of scratch my head.

Draft saved Draft deleted