1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rules: You can't cheer against the Tar Heels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Dec 13, 2009.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That's fine. He said he was a Duke fan and interacting with a Carolina fan. She was rude. Story seems unremarkable.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He had rotator cuff surgery a month or so ago, I think.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The lack of appropriate manners jumped out at him, and at me. Again, a similar remark with the right tone is fine, but it sounds like she wasn't kidding.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Strained it pointing out fans of other teams to eject.

5. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I also live in the Raleigh area. I take shit all the time about Duke because Duke fans are outnumbered 10-1 by UNC fans around here. I don't care. I give it right back when it's all in fun. I always get harrassed at bars by UNC fans and I just give it right back. It's all good. It's what being a sports fan is all about -- giving the guy in the opposite colors some grief. No problems with it at all.

I was just taken back by the situation -- she was running a business. I was giving her my money. She didn't say it in any kind of playful way. She looked at me and said "Duke sucks." No smile. No laugh. No hint in the tone of her voice that she was just messing around. She said it in all seriousness. And her mood during the rest of the transaction was the same.

It didn't really make me outraged. It just surprised me. I expect that stuff at bars or from other patrons at the mall. But I wouldn't expect it from someone I'm giving my business too. I might expect playful ribbing but not something like that.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Golfnut ... are you REALLY surprised a Chapel Hill fan said that? Welcome to my life. They're not much classier to NCSU folks.

I hope the Cameron Crazies took copious notes ... I think it's time to give Roy some nice feedback on his ignorance. I've told my mother, a devout Duke grad, time and again that Dean Smith was much classier and more level-headed than Roy Williams. If this doesn't help her see that, not much else will.

7. Sam Mills 51

And apparently, Roy could give a sh_t about Presbyterian.

8. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Haha. Here's hoping Presbyterian makes the NCAA's as the play-in winner and knocks off top-seeded UNC in the first round.

(I know, I know, only in my wildest dreams. Still fun to dream though).

I haven't lived here long and that mall lady was actually the first negative encounter I've had with a UNC fan. All the others have just been in fun.

And please don't misinterpret this as me thinking UNC fans are scum or anything because of one lady at a mall. Every team has scum fans. Duke has their share of scum fans. Every team and every school does.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A rousing chorus of "Hey Deon, miss it!" every time Deon Thompson shoots a free throw would be a nice start.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A run on Blue Hose merchandise would be a great follow-up.

11. Sam Mills 51

Without question. All programs have worthwhile fans, only to be overshadowed by classless scum.

But yeah ... the run on Presbyterian garb may approach the outburst of Appalachian State wear that sprouted out near Columbus a couple of years ago.

The Crazies could start by giving Roy a dozen roses and promising not to rag on him.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I actually had a day off on the day of the rivalry game between my alma mater (who i don't usually spend a lot of time cheering for) and its big rival, the big state university. The big school (as usual) won the game, on a disputed play near the end of the game (somewhat unusual; more often the game is a full-scale rout).

After watching the game on TV, I went out to pick up a case of beer. I went down to the neighborhood party store, wearing a ball cap from my alma mater. Walked into the party store, the chick at the counter was all decked up in Bigstate U. gear (along with a half dozen tattoos).

I went to the cooler and picked up a nice cold case of Labatt's Blue Light bottles. I brought it up to the counter. Hadn't said a word about the football game, no snotty comments, nothing. Hadn't said a word to anybody. Counter Chick looks at my hat and sneers, "suuccccks to be you, (inserts derisive snotty nickname for my alma mater)." Not jokingly in the least.

She rings up the sale and says, "that'll be $16.50" (or whatever it was). I reach in my pocket for some money, and she starts sliding the case of beer towards me.

I pull back my hands, step aside and let the case of beer smash to the floor.

"No, bitch, it sucks to be you. Hasta la vista." :D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted