1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rules by U of Wisconsin SID

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CRM, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Gives them time to get it on their own site, maybe?

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It does just that, give the school time to get it on its own Web site and put its spin on it.

This is a bullshit rule.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I covered a school that "requested" we wait an hour after an injury to report it on the Web, so a kid's parent could hear it from a trainer or coach first. Seemed reasonable. If they called their folks faster than that, they let us know.

Four hours? Bite me.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

And honestly Moddy, I'm surprised he didn't pull some HIPAA shit out of his ass with this one. It seems like the time we normally start seeing SIDs hide behind it unsuccessfully.

5. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

What a sissy rule. Nobody should agree to it. Period.
    I loathe SIDs who try to control information. What's true is true and what's news is news.
    Let it go, SIDs. Quit trying to throw a blanket or a stopwatch on the truth.
    Let the light shine in. Quit trying to snuff it out and control it.
    How does an SID look himself in the mirror after spending his day trying to obstruct access to the truth?
    I understand they have to try to represent the school's position in measured tones.
    But how about helping us get true information instead of trying to prevent us from getting it?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Many coaches have a rule that reads something like "We'll let you in to practice, but you can't report on anything you see at practice. Otherwise, we close practice..."
    How is what Wisconsin doing worse? [/someonewhosufferedthroughMichiganparanoiaunderBoMoandLloyd]

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'd love to see how they monitor all the blogs and fan stuff out there. I just don't think it's possible unless they hire a bunch of new staffers.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Sorry...just wanted to add this cause I'm pissed about SIDs pulling this shit.

It's a bullshit rule that the media should not follow. If they cut one off, everyone stops going...something along those lines.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If you can get that kind of unity, then hell yeah.

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Oh they monitor that shit all day. Trust me.

11. 0-fer

0-fer Member

The way I see it, it's one of those "pick your battles" things. If you decide to break the rule, and potentially limit your access for X amount of time, I say make damn sure it's worth it. Third string LB gets hurt I could give a shit less. Starting QB tears up his knee, that one goes out without question. SID's have got to get real media to care about the team. Of course, I'm not on the Nebraska or UF beat. Only things I cover are things where the SID is pretty pleased to get a nod, let alone a CP. Maybe I'm out of my element, though.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Look, on most major beats nowadays, the SIDs/PR guys couldn't give a fuck about us. They don't need us. They have their own websites from which to pump sunshine, full of audio, video and stories.

WHat do they need us for?

If the truth is positive, they can put it out there for themselves.
    If the truth is negative, they don't want it out there anyway.

Go ahead and break the rule, Wisconsin beat writers. Then they'll close practices, which is what they really want to do anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted