1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rules and how they relate to the Anything Goes board

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Jones, you don't need to balance your karmic ledger, because THIS is what it all comes down to.

SC, I'm not saying you're the main offender in this area, or even that you're one of the major offenders. But it strikes me that some of the people who are freaking about non-sensitive threads are the same ones who urge others not to click on threads they might not care for.

2. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I am not worried about threads about hot chicks. Are there any other questions?

3. Meatwad

Meatwad New Member

Did Gannett buy SportsJournalists.com?

Kidding.

4. Really, though, this "we'd like to be taken seriously in the industry" argument seems to me a fairly new one. Is it out of line to ask whether Upstairs has heard from someone else in the Carter-Skwar school?

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My question: How do you reconcile these two comments? You want it to be respected, so you're cracking down on threadjacks and fun with the quote function, but not the objectification of women on multiple threads concurrently?

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Hey, I'd be all for one each of "running hot chicks thread" and "running hot guys thread". Just pointing out that if guys didn't feel compelled to start a thread every time they got a boner, the need to eventually retaliate with a hot guys thread may not be as strong.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Could not have said it better myself.

8. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I also said at the very start of this thread...

Listen, folks. I am not going to waste my time going back and forth with you on this. You know the rules, I've given some insight into how they will be enforced.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My grandmother who was born in Victorian London, and never went out without a hat or gloves, had this advice: well brought up people don't discuss religion or politics.

That would solve most of the problems here.

We'll call it Grandmother Coppins Rule.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't discuss religion or politics, and I'm quite the classy broad.

11. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

You can reconcile the two comments (I am guessing) by remembering that if somebody reads a thread about Hot Chicks, they can expect to see comments relating to Hot Chicks. If they read another thread about Favorite Fast Food Restaurants and find a stream of F&$@ You's and other flaming, the viewer may become unsettled about this site.

For me, I have two suggestions about the rules:

1. Instead of Fuck You. . . posters can say, "I beg to differ!" It is much for civilized.

2. Can we have demerits? It would be cool if somebody violates the rules to have listed under his/her post total the number of demerits. We could then have different levels that go with the number of demerits. . . if you had none, you would be "Good person" or if you had 1,000 you could be called a "fuck-tard". It could really be cool.

Just my two cents.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What would be the equivalent of "jug," tho?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.