1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rules and how they relate to the Anything Goes board

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Isn't this sort of common sense? None of the guidelines seem very new or devastating. As far as I can tell, it just gives Webby and the Mods actual rules to point to when someone goes over the edge.

Probably long overdue. Good job.

2. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Leave enforcement to the crew here and we'll be fine. As for boots, you worry about you, I'll worry about him (and everyone else).

If you see something that needs to be reported, use the "report to moderator" link on the post in question and it will be looked at.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And use the button. Just don't talk about the button.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Can we get a ruling on the 5,237 threads of "This hot girl is hot/She's not hot, she's fat" that get started? I guarantee that if those threads are managed and/or restricted to a single "running hot chicks" thread the women of SportsJournalists.com would cease to start "post pictures of hot guys" threads.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Don't you mean "hot guys of SportsJournalists.com" thread? I'm sure there's at least one of us. :)

7. Flash

Flash Guest

We would? If they have a thread, dammit, we should have one, too.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Loved the first sentence, wish you stopped there (and I know you wanted to). Aren't there a zillion other places on the internet for hot chicks?

9. Mighty_Wingman

Of all the potential issues with the new rules, the complaint that they weren't restrictive enough of members' speech never occurred to me.

And I've never started or participated in a "that chick is hot" thread in my life. But still, this is ridiculous. How hard are they to skip over?

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If there was just one or two it wouldn't be a big deal, but they have been out of control lately. There was one day when there were about 5 of them on the front page of Anything Goes.

You generally wouldn't spend that much time salivating over or criticizing women you'll never meet in the company of female friends. You'd get told off at some point.

11. Mighty_Wingman

And you generally wouldn't spend that much time telling people what to talk about in the company of anyone at all. You'd get told off at some point.

I'm not trying to pick on you, SC...you're one of my favorite posters. But the new fashion for discipline on SportsJournalists.com strikes me as counter to the spirit of the place. People are getting awfully thin-skinned about others' speech, even when it affects them only tangentially.

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

Just for the record, I started the 2007 Sexiest Woman Alive thread because Esquire really was looking for suggestions. I forwarded the first several pages of picks to my editors.

Why that thread is still alive, I have no idea, seeing as the first photo of the "winning" chiquita is in the current issue.

Also, I hope the Books You've Read More Than Once thread balances my karmic ledger.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.