1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rules and how they relate to the Anything Goes board

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

If I may, Webby (and Moddy et.al.), as a sort of outsider on the board, one who follows rules and doesn't indulge in nastiness of any kind or name calling, I applaud the decision. Thank you very much. And if any of my friends wants to rip me for it, feel free. I can take it.

Please, give it time and you'll find that it works.

2. At the very least, guys, the discussion of the new rules ought to be open and free. If all people want to do is complain about the new rules, then let them.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Open? Free?

That's the kind of thinking that got us into this whole thing!

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

As long as it's enforced across the board. For far too long, you've let people like boots get away with their crap.

Even if boots has tamed down his act, there was a time he was THE WORST violator on this board's history and nothing was done about it, even tho he added nothing to conversations.

I think that's the concern with most people. It's not the rules. It's how they are going to be enforced.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Isn't this the time you shine the apple off on your shirt and put it on the teachers' desk?

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Your aim as stated higher on this page, Webby, is a very good aim, and can surely be done without losing much of anything good, hopefully. One thing I wonder: How did fun with the quote function become as verboten as outing and personal attacks?

7. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Occasionally, the fun with quotes thing can be real funny. And I don't have a problem with that, especially on the Anything Goes board. However, a lot of the times it's simply overused. If it's done in moderation, fine. However, I don't want to see that being done at all on the more serious boards (journalism and jobs).

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

I like the idea of civility on here. I'm just not sure how easily it will be to enforce it.

But I think guys, if you look at things objectively, the board has certainly been at its nadir the past few months. It's been as bad as it's been since I've been around, at least -- just dumb and vitriolic and, worst of all, boring. I think Webby's acting in response to that.

I suspect we'll swing too far in the opposite direction for a while, and then we'll edge back, hopefully finding some middle ground between Stalinism and where we are today.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was wondering that myself... that has proven to be some of the most creative work we've done here
    So is this an amendment to the other two boards?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Explained that way, easy to live with. Thanks for the clarification, Webby.

11. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

No, it's an ammendment to this board.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My bad... I meant anything goes and sports/news...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.