1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rules and how they relate to the Anything Goes board

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Hey, heavy-handed regulation and speech restrictions are what has made this country board great!

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Da, tovarisch!

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Here's my primary issue.

These rules:

seem pretty reasonable. It's also -- more or less -- the same philosophy we've had on this board for as long as I've been a member or lurker, which is quite a long time. I'm not sure I agree that we need MORE rules. If anything, I've found this place to be moderated a trifle too heavily at times.

And another thing:

Some of my favorite posters specialize in off-topic (or tangentially related) one-liners. Are those REALLY against the rules now?

Hey, I don't like some of the pissing matches and personal shots, but I can't think of a single example of a time I've said, "What we need is more arbitrary power for the moderators! That'd solve this!"

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I figure it's like the unwritten rule of the newsroom: It's OK to say the fucking computer crashed, not OK to say you're past your deadline, fuckface -- OK if not directed at another person.

5. BYH summed up my feelings pretty well.

What I wonder, when certain posters, and I'm sure I don't have to name names, throw out racist or homophobic comments, shouldn't they be called on that? Am I going to be given a warning for calling someone a racist when it's truly called for?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm wilinig to cut Webby and his henchmen (moddies, that is) a little slack here for the time being because I think the idea is to control the assholes who do nothing but start pissing contests ...
    as opposed to preventing me from calling BYH a fucking dickhead (which, of course, happens to be stating the truth).

7. I really don't understand. I told Webby in a P.M., we are in the business of free speech. We are also in a business where people can see our work on a daily basis. And we're all adults.
    Can't we handle some criticism? We have crazy parents who bitch at us. Does one poster telling you to go perform an anatomically impossible act really upset anyone on here?
    I read what I want and skip the things I don't. I don't let anything anyone posts under an anonymous name (be it here or on a fansite or even an unsigned e-mail) get to me.
    It just seems to me the moderators are making a mistake with taking the board in this direction.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think the moderators genuinely want this to be a good board and are taking some steps to curb some problems.

Their judgement has a pretty good overall record, so let's give them some room to do what they got to do.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

You think I'm a fucking dickhead too?

Oh man. That hurts. I thought we were friends, Mr. SABR4Kidz. :'( :D :D :D

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good point!!!! :D

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Four words in your post are not true - guess the four. And that's the root of the problem.
    Zeke said it best. Let it play out. People bitched when Webby split the boards. That worked pretty well. People bitch every time we change something. Some of the same people who bitch we don't do enough now bitch that we are trying to do too much.
    Let it play out. You will be pleasantly surprised. We want free, open discussion. We want information. We want fun. We don't want the "hey fuck yous" that were cropping up way too often. We want people to think before they post.

And here's your answer. We are NOT all adults. I only wish.

12. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I understand not everyone will be happy.. but folks, here's the bottom line... I want to make SportsJournalists.com great... I want to make it well respected out there in the field... I want to be able to tell people I run the site and not be embarrassed by what they might find... My intentions are good.. And I think they will pay off in the long haul... Just give it some time, that's all I ask.

I don't want this thread to be a bitch session about the new rules. If you have a question, please ask it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.