1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New rules and how they relate to the Anything Goes board

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

After some feedback from users, I feel some clarification is necessary in regards to our rules and guidelines for this site, which can be found here http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/42952/

The Anything Goes board is a bit different than the rest of the site. It's meant to be a little less serious and more fun, so in our moderating of this specific forum we will cut folks a little slack. Basically, we will be looking at policing "major" violations on this board. These major violations include, but are not necessarily limited to the following:

1. Personal attacks
    2. Outing
    3. Posting private messages/e-mails without permission

As we progress with following these new rules, I encourage you to consider the following when you are posting new threads or responding to current threads:

1. Am I contributing to the discussion?
    2. Does anyone really care about the thread I'm about to start?
    3. Is the subject line clear enough to describe exactly what the subject is (please refrain from subjects that say "Oh wow!" or "This is cool".. give some detail)

Please do not just copy stories from the wire or other web sites and post them as a thread without a comment from yourself. By offering your comments or insight it offers some substance and direction on the topic.

I think everyone gets the idea...

I hope this offers a little clarity to things.

If you have specific questions, you may ask them on this thread and I will try to answer them.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Question: With regard to the posting of stories/columns, and your request for links only....many of the items that are posted here come from sites that might be subscription only (ie, Times Select) or require cumbersome registration.

Is there some 'fair use' flexibility here, so we can get an idea of what the thread is about?

3. Lucas Wiseman

A paragraph or two from the story with a link is appropriate. Posting the entire story is not appropriate, especially in cases where the stories come from a subscription only site.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

I could use a little guidance on the objectionable words front.

I'll be the first to admit that I use bad language too much, and I'll try to curb it. But how strict are we talking about here?

5. Lucas Wiseman

Profanity is allowed. Let's be realistic here... I worked in a newsroom for many years, I know what it's like... However, don't go around telling people to "fuck off" or calling them a "fucktard." That's when we have a problem.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Can we call the subjects of these stories a "fucktard," or another bad word, as long as we're not doing it to a specific poster?

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Done and done, you fucking kind and generous man.

8. Oh, go soak your head, you Canadian, you.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Can you make special dispensation for me and Chris L?

Shouldn't we be allowed the occasional flame wars? :)

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If you get a pass, BYH and Pube should get one.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I have a problem here with the spirit of the new rules and regulations.

I'm not saying I disagree with Webby & Moddy's points but please, give me a break.

You've given us more rules and regulations than my grandmother.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can think of one poster in particular, besides me, whom you're going to have to keep a real close eye on. Hint: He has lots of screen names and likes to call people f-words whenever they disagree with him.

I have to agree with JR here. For nearly five years, the board has been run with a very loose hand...too loose at times, as I have stated to Webby publicly and privately.

To go from laissez faire to carefully attentive in the snap of the fingers sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Are you and/or the moddies willing to be on here most of the day in order to quell any "uprisings?" Because if not, you're going to have a lot of people griping...that you're either too strict or not strict enough, that you're either playing favorites or picking on someone too much.

As for the thread rules, the spontaneity (sp) of this place is what makes it great. Maybe my thread about the greatness of Warrant gets 10 pages of non-sequitirs, or maybe it perishes without a single reply (as it should). I guess it's easy for me to say since I don't have to clean anything up here, but I like the unpredictable turn threads can take. Some suck, some are funny. Kind of like every thread on the board anyway.

Honestly, if you want to re-align the board in this fashion, I wonder if nuking everything and starting anew is the best idea. Everyone re-registers and starts with a clean slate.

I realize it's hypocritical of me to raise objection to the new rules when I have wished you would be more hands-on in the past, but hey. I'm a complex guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.