1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New router?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 25, 2015.

1. I think I need a new wireless router (and a repeater or booster)
    Any recommendations?

Our Linksys Router is more than a decade old. It works, but I have to unplug it about once a day. We have close to have half-dozen devices pulling service off it.
    We don't good service in our bedroom, which is upstairs in the back of the house.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I always had problems with my Linksys back in the day. Had to do the same thing, unplug and plug it back in all the time. It was a POS.

I now have a D-Link router provided by my cable company that works really well. Have never had an issue with it.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I got this fancy ASUS router. It cost more but it has directional antennas which is nice for directing the signal to where you want it.

It's way better than a garden variety router.

Id reccomend just spending the extra money for a premium one. If you're like me, it's a major inconvenience when your wifi goes out, especially if you stream entertainment (apple TV or Netflix)

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Get the Apple Airport Extreme. Pricey but well worth it. It's virtually idiot proof.

And if you need additional coverage, pick up an Airport Express and a powerline adapter kit. It runs your internet connection through your existing power grid. The Apple software will automatically set up a two-router system for you and you can move between rooms and it will hand off your signal from one router to the other.

I created a multi-router system in my house in this fashion, and it took about 15 minutes total.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Cisco RV-180W. It has worked very well for us.

6. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

I suggest you pass on this model. Not that it's unreliable. I'd pass because it's a "N" speed router. The new generation of routers are the "AC" routers which are 3x faster than N-rated routers. You can find some very good dual-band gigabit AC wireless routers for around $100 or less.

I purchased a D-Link DIR-825 just over two years ago and it's been trouble free. It's a "N" router as "AC" routers have been on the market for less than a year. If I was going to replace my router I'd probably buy a D-Link DIR-850L from my local Micro Center which has it on sale for $79.99 http://www.microcenter.com/product/414503/DIR-850L_Wireless_AC1200_Dual_Band_Gigabit_Cloud_Router

Best Buy also has it on sale at the same $79.99 price: DLink Wireless AC1200 DualBand Gigabit Cloud Router DIR-850L - Best Buy

Edited to Add: Amazon also has this model for $3 less and they have the next higher model (DIR-860L), which adds a "SmartBeam" feature, on sale at $85.99: Amazon.com: dir-850l

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I bought a Belkin N750 a few months back and it's given me no problems... of course, after I bought it, I discovered AC and if I had to do it again, would have gone that route.

Draft saved Draft deleted