1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Round of Buyouts at Pittsburgh Post-Gazette?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EagleMorph, Oct 28, 2010.

1. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Word on another message board is that there's another round of buyouts being offered and taken at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. In the sports department, the last round of buyouts culled longtime beat writer Paul Meyer, Phil Axelrod, and columnist Bob Smizik (among others).

According to this message board, which in my experience has been pretty accurate with Pittsburgh news movement, Chuck Finder and Robert Dvorchak are among those in sports on the list this time around.

This poster says Finder, the backup Pirates beat writer to Dejan Kovacevic, has already accepted:
    http://voy.com/158430/14564.html

Anyone know more or hear something different?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Voy is VERY hit and miss. I wouldn't trust them as a source, though it's possible they are right.

Finder used to post here once on a while. Not sure if ie still does. So does at least one other P-G sports guy. Maybe one of them can shed some light either here or via PM.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So does the SE, under his own name. Maybe he'll be in a position to enlighten us.

4. cfinder

cfinder Member

Geez, after a 25-year career that covers the spectrum here, you would think someone might find a more scintillating -- if not more apt -- description than "backup Pirates beat writer?"

As for an answer: stay tuned.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah!
    Backup Pirates beat writer and 25-year vet ****

Something like that.

6. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

DickRod & agent's water carrier?

7. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Chuck said goodbye on the PG's plus site today:
    http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/pbc-blog/106220-a-farewell-from-chuck-finder

Best of luck to him in the future.

8. outofplace

Agreed. Good luck, Chuck. (Bad movie reference intended).

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I thought that was a great goodbye column.

10. Simon

Simon Active Member

I only talked to Chuck once while helping him with a story for Pirates draft picks. (They took the cheap catcher...Surprise!) I don't know what it was about him but I wanted to go grab a beer and listen to his wisdom for a few hours. I think I could have learned a thing or five hundred.

11. outofplace

So did I. Well done, Chuck. Not that I would expect less.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I didn't know his work. Nicely done farewell.

Draft saved Draft deleted