1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New revenue stream - angry parents

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I take it the schools you cover don't have swimming or lacrosse.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Bingo. Or, for the love of piss, cheerleading.

Oh, how I don't miss having to deal with this shit.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

OK, I'll bite. Tell us the story, Gutter!

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

See, you guys need to send all those parents up here where for the most part no one outside the kids cares about high school sports, including most parents. We'd re-educate them. :)

"Hey, did you win, Johnny?"

"No, mom, we lost 50-0 to Podunk High"

"Oh, well, dear, it's just high school football. As long as you had a good time".

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Someone with a better memory can tell it ... thread was from early 2003, I think, so I doubt it survived the Great Crash.

The basics: Tennis mom attempted to shag a young prep reporter (can't remember who it was here).

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The next complaint I get, I'm going to find the parent's work number and consistently tell them what a horrible job they're doing.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought the tennis mom wanted to meet with the reporter to pitch a story about the daughter and all the thoughts of shagging were a figment of the board's imagination.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Ace is correct, the story was about some ill-conceived lunch date to talk about coverage with the tennis mom.

Who happened to be blonde.

9. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

After years of dealing with pushy tennis and golf parents, I'm finally enjoying the two I'm dealing with now. Their son/daughters have graduated our local private schools and are playing at Division I schools (two tennis, one golf) far away from Scribblyville.

Each time one of their kids does something, like POW or scholar-athlete team, the fathers will send me a pleasant e-mail calling it to my attention. I put it in the sports digest, and they never fail to follow up with a thank-you e-mail.

Two anomalies out of 1,000, I know, but they give me hope.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

guest of the state, dammit

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Well only one of the schools even has tennis. That one has swimming, but we covered the only two home meets they had, and I haven't been around for the spring yet so I don't know about lacrosse.

12. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I know the feeling.

Draft saved Draft deleted