1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New revenue stream - angry parents

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Back in the day, we had a parent upset at having their soccer result included in the roundup (they usually lost, but fortunately got to play an even worse team and lucked up and won). We led the roundup with the big game of the night, of course.

So in the course of the letter to the editor, the parent proceeds to write the story of the game as we should have published it. It was full of flowery junk, like "the quick, nimble, shifty forward turned on a dime and raced past the slower, awkward defender and scored on a beautifully placed perfect shot ..." You get the idea.

Anyway, we ran the letter verbatim, and the other parents were so pissed at the parent who wrote it, they told him, "Never again." Said it made them all look like idiots.

Which is what we hoped against hope would happen. Karma's a bitch.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My kid's shiftier than your kid!

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

where do they get this shit?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, but my kid is quick, nimble and shifty! In your face and SCOREBOARD!

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you rule, inky.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. PaulS

PaulS Member

Please post the ad when it runs. Please.

8. Keystone

Keystone Member

We had a football dad so pissed at us because we put his son's team's playoff win on page 3, that he not only bought full-page ad ripping the paper, he also bought a set of billboards that ripped our prep football beat writer by name. Said writer thought it was the funniest thing. Ever.

Other parents were pissed at us, too, but that dad's action actually embarrassed them, and there were letters and phone calls apologizing to us.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I've found tennis parents to be the most ornery in my brief time in this business.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i missed this the first time around ... sonsabitches.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So what are you wearing to the Bucs game?

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Fixed. [/secondattemptatoldSportsJournalists.comstory]

Draft saved Draft deleted