1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Radiohead album comes out in 10 days!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bill Brasky, Sep 30, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Ouch.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It was supposed to hurt. Radiohead puts me to sleep. It's not that it's bad music, I just don't like it.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

That's the way I feel about the Grateful Dead.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't mind the Dead, but I'm not a big enough fan that I know more than seven or eight songs. But I've got to be in the mood to listen to them. Generally, I have trouble getting into a band whose fans would buy a piece of shit so long as it includes the "Radiohead" label. But that's not why I don't like Radiohead. It's a part of the reason I have difficulty listening to Dave Matthews Band, but that's another story altogether. Radiohead's just not my bag. I like the faster guitars and the driving beats. And that's like no Radiohead song I've heard.

5. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

Sweet new Radiohead...I have The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A and Hail to the Thieve.
    I hope this is as good as Kid A.

6. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

So I paid 2.44 euros for the new album, which amounts to 4 dollars....And I gotta say it's the best 4 bucks I've ever spent.
    Great album, not so experimental that it sounds like a cat dying. I guess it's real music. I never got the whole electronic keyboards, we're going to play things out of rhythm without a melody, phase.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

really, if you have no fucking clue what you're talking about, why even bother?

i gave two pounds, jake. think it's ok, but i'm much more of a bends, ok computer guy. i respect the hell outta them for trying new things

and jay, you could have downloaded it for free straight from them

8. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Actually, about a third of their catalog is like that.

Not sure how "fast" you mean, but a ton of stuff before Kid A is pretty straightforward guitar/drum rock...especially the B-sides. But, I get what you're saying.

But I'm one of those super obsessed fans who's heard every song and even admits the relative merits of Pablo Honey (which are minimal)...Though I'm not afraid to admit when they churn out crap. And, trust me they've churned out crap. The song Treefingers comes to mind...It's like late Eno on quaaludes meets air conditioning hum.

But, the new album is quite good. I'm just glad most of the songs aren't rote copies of what I heard live a year ago. It's definitely not something for everyone though.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Radiohead's new album is killer! It is my pick for one of the best albums of the year.

So glad Thom Yorke and company put out another album. Long overdue.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm more of a punk rock/ska guy. I usually don't stray a whole lot from that. Although when I hear something good, I don't simply dismiss it because it's not "my genre." I'm like that with Green Day, too. Generally, I like just about everything they produce, but if they release something that doesn't sit well with me, I'm not afraid to say it.

The Dave Matthews fans I've met are so obsessed and brainwashed -- I'll use the term loosely -- that I couldn't have a conversation about a concert where they didn't tell me DMB was better live. For instance, I was chatting with a friend from high school four or five years ago, and I mentioned how great Billie Joe Armstrong's stage presence was and how "Green Day was the best live band I've seen." Her exact words were, "Dave is better." When I asked if she'd ever seen Green Day, she said, "No. I just know they're better."

Totally turned me off.

11. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

spent 10 pounds and love the album. what a band.

Draft saved Draft deleted