1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New quick, fun Scoop feature for Sports Sections

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by Carlkolchak, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Carlkolchak

Carlkolchak Member

Greetings Sports Editors;

If you would like fresh, fun content for your sports section...Trying to start up a quick-hit feature of sound bites from my 25 years of interviews. These are all exclusives from over 2,000 one on one interviews I've done. This small feature can run with an AP photo or artwork. Would add a nice element of light-hearted fun to any sports section. Try a free-month trial...

Please consider,

Thanks

Mark Scoop Malinowski
    NJ/Bradenton FL scoop.malinowski@yahoo.com
    201-218-0811
    www.Tennis-prose.com
    www.Ringobserver.com

----------------------------------------------------------

Muhammad Ali Scoop

"I was on the same card at Caesars with Muhammad Ali. He fought Jerry Quarry and I was fighting his brother Mike Quarry (billed as "The Quarry Brothers vs. The Soul Brothers"). Before the fights that night, Ali bet me $1,000 that he couldn stop Jerry Quarry before I could stop Mike. I said, 'I'll take that bet.' Because I knew Ali couldn't punch that hard. And Jerry was tough. I ended up winning the bet. I knocked Mike Quarry out with one shot. And Ali paid me too. 'Cause he knew if he didn't, I'd have kicked his ass, right there in Caesars Palace!" - From Bob Foster

Don Budge Scoop
    "My nickname was The Fire Dragon. I was told by the first guy who tried to help me: You go out and beat everyone as bad as you can and make them scared of you. And they're gonna be afraid to play you. Someone would say, Who do you play in the first round? Well, I'm being fed to the Fire Dragon [smiles]. I had red hair back then."

Jim Brown Scoop

"A funny memory...170-pound Pat Fischer picking me up - 230 pounds - and taking me about five yards back
    and dumping me on my butt. And having all the fans at Cleveland laughing at me."

Chi Chi Rodriguez Scoop

"I was playing the Masters one year with Homero Blancas. And Homero hit a ball on the 18th hole and pushed his second shot into the gallery. And when he got down there, the ball was lodged on a lady's blouse, against her bra. And he called me over and he said, 'What can I do?' I said, 'Well, play it.'"

CiCi Bellis Scoop

"I played a really funny exhibition in Stanford. Like a really long time ago. And the lady I was playing said she was really into yoga. And she would dive for every single ball that she went to. And she would literally fall on the court. It was ridiculous. Everyone was laughing like the whole time. It was kind of scary too [laughs]."

Barry Larkin Scoop

"My first game playing first - I was five years old. My dad was the coach. Grounder to shortstop. He threw it
    to me. Hit me right in the nose. Nice and bloody. Painful. I came out and wanted to quit. I missed the next day. But then I wanted to play again."

Roger Federer Scoop
    "I remember always loving to play against the cupboards, against the doors at home. With any kind of ball, soft ball, tennis ball. My mom always got upset with me, because BANG, BANG, BANG all day long [smiles]."

Sparky Anderson Scoop
    "I have a most treasured possession - it's now in the Hall of Fame. It was the only ball signed by any Pope, which I got on my 60th birthday. He never signed anything with the name 'Pope.' And he signed this for the Archbishop of Florida, who brought it to me. Signed in Latin: 'Bless you my son.' In Latin, then my name. He asked what baseball is [smiles]. I didn't want that ball to fall in anyone's hands that would sell it. That's why I gave it to the Hall of Fame."

Roberto Duran Scoop

"After I won the Lightweight title from Ken Buchanan in 1972, I wanted to eat every kind of ice cream, every color, every flavor. And after that I did champagne. And after that I had diarrhea. I went to the bathroom 100 times that night!"

Bob Feller Scoop

"Playing catch with my father in the winter time, with the lights strung up to the trees. We played catch in the
    livestock yard on our farm in Iowa. With snow on the ground piled up high on the side. The balls would get wet and we'd put them in the oven to dry 'em up."

Chris Evert Scoop

"I was at a tennis clinic with Maureen Connelly. I got to hit with her. I was ten. She commented on my game in front of everyone. That left a big impression on me. It motivated me even more to get involved in tennis."

Gordie Howe Scoop

"I went to Regina, Saskatchewan. First time I had ever been on the road and scored three goals against Regina. I was 13. And the memory was nice getting the goals, but when I read my name in the paper: 'Future NHL star' ...that was a very fond memory. The little things in life are what really set you up. That one write-up in the paper got me thinking the NHL was within reach. I went out and practiced. I shot all summer long and all winter long."

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted