1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New QB Rating?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Aug 1, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

yup. what's so challenging about just writing a few comments on how YOU rate the player by, you know, watching him, you know, watching him play?

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Would it discount incompletions due to drops by the receiver or interceptions due to tipped/deflected passes?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No one cares about quarterback rating now, and no one will care about any new rating system. Football is a sport where the only numbers anyone truly cares about are on the scoreboard. Which is refreshing, I say

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Third down conversions don't distinguish between 3rd-and-1 and 3rd-and-17. They don't recognize that sometimes on 3rd and 9, the team with the ball is happy to punt after running a play that wipes more time off the clock. Every third down conversion isn't some combination of genius and improv. Often it's just a 260-pound back leaning forward behind a 340-pound lineman.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I really want to see the formula explained, but from what I read, YAC is still factored in.. it's just greatly diminished.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I really don't want to see the formula explained because it's useless anyway. I already thought MNF found a way last year to be the least enjoyable experience in the TV-watching universe by having Jon Gruden on there. But now that they're pimping this nonsense, it will be even less enjoyable.

8. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

They should of just went with the Football Outsiders system:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I don't see what your enjoyment of MNF has to do with a stat and its potential use by scouts to evaluate quarterback performance.

To me, it's worth a look because I hate the old passer rating.

If Jeff Sagarin and Mel Greenberg can develop shit in their moms' basements that catches on, you'd think the WWL's research folks-- who, love or loathe ESPN everybody agrees are some of the best around-- can come up with something interesting.

But again, I want to understand the stat itself.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If John Gruden had a hand in developing the new metric every QB will be great.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How about they just get rid of the meaningless fucking stat?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Please let me know when a scout who isn't paid by ESPN ever finds this hocus-pocus useful. They don't even use passer rating, so this is hardly a replacement for that. No, what will happen is every time the QB makes a throw the ESPN meter will update his QBR and the booth will talk incessantly about it as if everyone in the world is using this number, just as ESPN likes to show what the win probability percentage is when there is one out in the seventh inning.

Draft saved Draft deleted