1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New publisher at Lafayette (LA) Advertiser

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by StaggerLee, May 12, 2007.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place, and if so, please move to the appropriate folder.

Lafayette moved quickly in finding a new publisher, which leads me to believe this has been brewing for a few weeks.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070511/NEWS01/70511032

Hurst named publisher of The Daily Advertiser

Leslie Hurst has been named president and publisher of The Daily Advertiser, the Daily World and The Times of Acadiana.

Hurst comes to Lafayette from Lansing, Mich., where she was president and publisher of the Lansing State Journal, a 70,000 circulation daily.

She was also vice president of Gannett's Midwest Newspaper Group with responsibility for newspapers across mid-Michigan that reached almost a million readers daily.

In her new role, she will be vice president of Gannett's SunCoast group, which includes newspapers in Florida and Louisiana.

Hurst also has worked in Idaho, West Virginia, Mississippi, and Florida. She started her career as a reporter/editor for The Shreveport Journal.

She's got a resume a mile long, anybody have any experience with her?

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Gannett's finally pushing some of that top-heavy upper management into the newspaper equivalent of "golden parachutes." It's what all of them get after they've raped the previous place for all its worth. Ain't that right, G-people --- or recovering G-people?

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

That isn't surprising that something like this happened so quick. You know Gannett ain't gonna start moving publishers around unless they have replacements all sewn up.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This is funny to me.

The previous publisher, the guy who's going to Reno, we go back a ways.

He took a little run at me a few weeks back on the Lafayette SE's job.

Imagine taking that job, getting there and then having the guy who hired you packed out before you can get unpacked.

Yeesh.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You got a call too? Mine came from the editor

6. HejiraHenry

I regarded mine as morre of a courtesy call.

No way I make that move, for a variety of family reasons, but I don't blame him for making the call.

I see that Reno is looking and I halfway expect to get a call about that, too.

On Reno, I would at least make a visit. ;)

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

How far is Tahoe from Reno, 15 minutes? No, wait it really is 15 minutes.
    An oldie but goodie.
    Be sure to try the baked chicken and don't forget to tip your server.

8. HejiraHenry

Wow, that's two (and possibly three) old-school shoutouts in one 33-word (more or less) post.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I thought about that. I wonder how Bob Heist is feeling right now. Ted Power actively sought him out and got him to leave Jackson, TN for Lafayette.

Now he's got to deal with a new publisher. And I'm sure Ted Power promised him everything.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Before I posted, I was a long-time lurker, then had a different handle and now my present incarnation, King, I mean Hejira.

11. HejiraHenry

The King? He's dead, but he's not forgotten ...

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Damn! That's fucked up!

Draft saved Draft deleted