1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New poster with a question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportsfan AS, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Sportsfan AS

Sportsfan AS New Member

Hey guys, I have been reading the boards for a while but just now posting. I have a question. I am currently a journalism major in college and have begun writing for the school newspaper. My question is how to go about keeping up my clips. How should I save my clips so that I can have them for potential employers? Should I scan the newspaper itself into my computer and keep them on file that way? Should I get extra copies of the paper itself? Should I print the copy that goes on the paper's website? I really was curious if you guys with experience could help me out or give me some advice. Thanks a lot and I'll be reading.

2. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

I suggest clips from the paper..

However, I always archive my clips on a jump drive (thumb drive, USB Drive, Flash Drive, whatever they are called today). Also, I file stories via GMail, so I always have an archive on there.

Would turn in clips from the newspaper (scanning wouldnt hurt, either I suppose), but always better to have an electronic copy just in case.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Normally as long as it is in a neat and readable format, you're okay. You don't want copies with the text shrunk too small, or big, awkward tearsheets. A lot of times different editors have slightly different preferences. Whatever format you choose if you're backing up online, make sure you can print from it. PDF files might work because they're pretty standard on most computers, and fairly easy to print.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

When you physically cut clips from the paper, store them in a photo album with the sticky pages and lift-up clear protective film (not the kind with pre-measured slots for pictures, obviously). This will ensure the preservation of the newsprint, your clips become an 8.5x11 size and it's very, very easy to photocopy that photo album sheet as needed.

Try to "print" copies from the website as PDF files. This way you have electronic copies if you need quick access but don't have to worry about people not being able to open an HTM (or whatever) file, nor do you have to worry about links getting outdated.

If you can, try to get PDF files of the actual pages on which your articles appeared. You may have to work with someone on the design desk to make this happen.

5. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

PDFs work well for me.
    It's fairly simple to PDF your pages, assuming you have the right software and access to the computer or computers where they're saved.
    PDFs are easy to email and print, too.
    Some places ask you to mail your tearsheets, so it's wise to have those saved somewhere just in case, too.

6. Sportsfan AS

Sportsfan AS New Member

Forgive my stupidity. Is a tearsheet the article that you cut from the actual newspaper itself? Should I make sure I grab several copies so that I will have them on hand if necessary?

EDIT* - Nevermind, just looked it up on Google.

Thanks for the responses so far.

7. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Yes, and yes.

Some editors like to see copy on newsprint because it can't be altered.
    Electronically saved pieces of your work can be altered if a mistake is discovered.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think this is more important if you are a page designer or photographer than a writer. The article can be cut out, preserved and photocopied in 8.5x11 format.

A regular writer can't be expected to keep multiple copies of every issue in which his/her articles appear. They would quickly run out of living space and/or create a massive fire hazard.

Obviously, grab a few copies of stuff you really, really like. There may be an employer down the line who requests to see the hard copy. But get used to archiving your work on a daily basis, both electronically or with physical clips.

9. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

But a smart editor can check to see when that last electronic document was modified and by exactly who (or the Machine or licensed copy of Word, etc).

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Keep both... some editors like paper in their hands; others don't mind it electronically.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

What she said. I've done same thing for the past nine years. Makes it easy to put a package of clips together quickly.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm jealous of anyone with the discipline to archive on a daily basis. And my basement would probably be that fire hazard you mentioned, or at least it was until my wife and I took a full weekend to pare the clip boxes down (we're both journos, so it was twice as bad).

Draft saved Draft deleted