1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New "Planet of the Apes" movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm about a third of the way through Writing Movies for Fun and Profit by Tom Lennon and Robert Ben Garant. They are probably most recognizable as the Reno 911 guys, but they have written a ton of Hollywood movies. So far I'm just getting into the part where they explain the various ways scripts get ruined. Obviously the book is written from a writers' perspective, but it makes it seem like most scripts that get purchased by studios are originally pretty good, but too many hands in the kitchen tend to result in shitty movies.

It's pretty interesting so far.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Man ... fuck those apes.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That's how the book ended

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

FIRST BOX OFFICE: 'Rise Of Planet Of Apes' Looking Like $38M, 'The Change-Up' $13M
    By NIKKI FINKE | Friday August 5, 2011 @ 4:28pm PDT
    Tags: Box Office, Fox Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, Rise of the Planet Of The Apes
    FRIDAY 4 PM UPDATE: After a low-key midnight opening of $1.254 million in only 1,124 North American locations, Fox's prequel Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes with CGI animals and James Franco is jumping to an easy box office lead. Hollywood initially thought it would follow the same trajectory as last weekend's Cowboys & Aliens which had about $800K in midnights and went on to a $36.4M Friday-Saturday-Sunday. And, remember, that pic got Smurf-ed at the box office. This Planet Of The Apes origins story is faring better than Cowboys, looking around $38M even without the hype and pedigree but at half the budget ($93M). The other major studio release, Universaal's The Change-Up, isn't faring as well. This truly isn't Ryan Reynolds' summer of stardom after the collapse of Green Lantern here and abroad. He and Jason Bateman star in this raunchy R-rated comedy that is underperforming for only a $14M weekend. Full analysis and refined numbers coming later today.
    http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/rise-of-planet-of-apes-1-25m-midnights/

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I saw The Smurfs movie last weekend. Why the fuck would I want to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes? Who wants to see the same flick twice in a row? Humans get crushed under the weight of a different species. I get it. Next...

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

EPIC post.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, in the original apes had been turned into slaves by mankind.
    They were all over the place, in people's homes, etc.

8. Frylock

Frylock Member

Umm, not an EPIC POST.
    First of all, did we all forget about suspension of disbelief? That's what makes movies, fiction, etc. fun.
    Labs do have protocols in place for disasters, but that doesn't mean s*** never happens. We have had a few nasty scares.
    If you were subjected to tests, mistreated by janitors and basically kept in jail, you would probably revolt as well. And they didn't just f-up the world. They took it over.
    Have you ever seen the havoc one chimpanzee can cause? They can tear apart a person pretty easily.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Well shit then.

I, for one, welcome our new ape masters.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

They can't fuck up the budget any worse than the current Congress, can they?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I believe the response by the animals is explained as the drugs having a side effect of causing aggressive behavior.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I hate every Ape I see, from chimp-pan-a to chimp-pan-zee.

Draft saved Draft deleted