1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New "Planet of the Apes" movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'm reading a few stories about "Rise of the Planet of the Apes."

It looks as though they're using all the new sophisticated computer wizardry to make it super-realistic looking.

But, half the fun of the old movies to me was the sort of kitschy-looking ape costumes.

And this story is set before the movies that had those hokey ape costumes.

Am I the only one who's bothered by this?

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I am not bothered one bit. I'm getting the tinglies in anticipation of this movie. I LOVE the old movies...but am looking forward to seeing much more realistic apes.

BTW, I think Caesar has Roddy McDowell's face a bit. Or am I just hoping it looks that way?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I love the original ape movies. I have all of them in the DVD box set.

I don't have even a slight bit of interest in the new one.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Me neither. And for all the "cutting-edge" CGI, the apes look fake, at least in the trailer.

CGI has rendered movie-makers lazy. Don't bother with good dialogue or a compelling storyline, as long as plenty of shit is flying around and crashing into buildings.

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

88% at Rotten Tomatoes, looks like a big hit. Rise of the Planet of the Apes" does it right. Smart, fun and thoroughly enjoyable, it's a model summer diversion that entertains without insulting your intelligence.

August 4, 2011
    Kenneth Turan
    The Los Angeles Times http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rise_of_the_planet_of_the_apes/

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have the box set...on VHS. Does that make me cooler? LOL

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ebert gives it three stars, begrudgingly:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110803/REVIEWS/110809988

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, but when I first read this thread title, it came across as "Planet of the Apps" movie ...

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Tim Burton's vision was on the other night on FX.. Still can't get over that ending.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

One of my friends posted this on his Facebook the other day: "Do you really need to see it? Everyone already knows how it ends."

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I never have wrapped my head around the ending to that one. If someone can explain, please do so.

The ending to the original is the greatest twist to a movie ending ever probably.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had a Planet of the Apes waste paper basket in my room when I was little.

Draft saved Draft deleted