1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New "Planet of the Apes" movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'm reading a few stories about "Rise of the Planet of the Apes."

It looks as though they're using all the new sophisticated computer wizardry to make it super-realistic looking.

But, half the fun of the old movies to me was the sort of kitschy-looking ape costumes.

And this story is set before the movies that had those hokey ape costumes.

Am I the only one who's bothered by this?

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I am not bothered one bit. I'm getting the tinglies in anticipation of this movie. I LOVE the old movies...but am looking forward to seeing much more realistic apes.

BTW, I think Caesar has Roddy McDowell's face a bit. Or am I just hoping it looks that way?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I love the original ape movies. I have all of them in the DVD box set.

I don't have even a slight bit of interest in the new one.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Me neither. And for all the "cutting-edge" CGI, the apes look fake, at least in the trailer.

CGI has rendered movie-makers lazy. Don't bother with good dialogue or a compelling storyline, as long as plenty of shit is flying around and crashing into buildings.

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

88% at Rotten Tomatoes, looks like a big hit. Rise of the Planet of the Apes" does it right. Smart, fun and thoroughly enjoyable, it's a model summer diversion that entertains without insulting your intelligence.

August 4, 2011
    Kenneth Turan
    The Los Angeles Times http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rise_of_the_planet_of_the_apes/

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I have the box set...on VHS. Does that make me cooler? LOL

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ebert gives it three stars, begrudgingly:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110803/REVIEWS/110809988

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, but when I first read this thread title, it came across as "Planet of the Apps" movie ...

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Active Member

Tim Burton's vision was on the other night on FX.. Still can't get over that ending.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

One of my friends posted this on his Facebook the other day: "Do you really need to see it? Everyone already knows how it ends."

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I never have wrapped my head around the ending to that one. If someone can explain, please do so.

The ending to the original is the greatest twist to a movie ending ever probably.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had a Planet of the Apes waste paper basket in my room when I was little.

Draft saved Draft deleted