1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New phone question: Monthly pay as you go -- who's the best?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jan 14, 2013.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, Ms. Slappy's cell plan ends tomorrow and she wants to go to a monthly plan. She wants a decent phone and a plan she can live with --$50 or less; must include roaming (which excludes Virgin Mobile). The front runner is Boost, but not sold on it. Anyone have thoughts on a carrier and a phone -- $149 or less? Needs to have a micro SD slot; web access is nice, but not as important as unlimited talk/text....

2. Was a big fan of straight talk when we had it. I believe it was 45/month unlimited. And they have multiple phones to choose from. We had the slide with full keyboard which worked fantastic. Can't speak to their smartphones. Coverage was also fantastic for us as was the service. I have heard their customer service left a lot to be desired but you can set it up online so I never had to talk with anyone. I believe the only place outside of their site that you can get a phone through them is Walmart.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Read about Walmart offering IPhone 5 for $650 but the plan is only $40 per month. The initial outlay is more but the cost over a two year period about $500 cheaper.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I use H20 (subsidiary of one of the big ones) and get unlimited calls and text for $40.

You can get unlimited calls, text and Internet for $60.

It's pretty much month by month, with no contract.

https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageControl.php?page=index

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Saw that on Saturday when I went to buy a screengard for my phone...

6. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I decided to go this route. I was using my phone mostly for work purposes and I changed jobs and wasn't going to have as much need for it in the new gig. I went with AT&T GoPhone. I got a Samsung Galaxy Appeal for about $125. Their coverage seems pretty good. It runs a basic version of Android and has a slideout keyboard, which I like because I can't type on a touchscreen to save my life. I get 250 minutes a month for $25 and 200 MB of data a month for $15. I was paying almost $70 a month before. I'm happy with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted