1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Philly newspaper owners taking it hard

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

This is not good news.
    http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/184455/philadelphia-newspapers-lose-16-million-seek-28-million-in-cuts/

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sounds very ominous.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

When you consider what's happened in Philly (like so many places) in recent years, this quote from CEO is indeed ominous: "These talks will be the toughest challenge we have ever encountered as a company." You have to wonder if Daily News could be doomed.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They bought a business for $55 million that had been sold for $139 million two years earlier and $515 million four years before that.

What the fuck else did they think they were getting?

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Sadly, I think the Daily News is doomed.

Also, how much advertising does the Inquirer carry in the Monday and Tuesday papers? I was recently in San Francisco and the Chronicle Monday edition only had six pages of ads. I wonder if reduced publishing schedules are an option to be placed on the table in Philly.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's not that bad but it's definitely seen better times.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Philly's Monday papers, especially during football season, are generally bigger. Last week's Inky for Monday was 50 pages... two full-page house ads in sports, but both the A and C sections had back-page full ads and it seemed like there were a healthy amount of ads in the A section.

Draft saved Draft deleted